Power Mac G5 2.3 Ghz Wont Power On

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hectbp, Jun 26, 2012.

1. hectbp macrumors newbie

Hi people! Im new to this forum and would appreciate someone help me with my problem. I was gifted with an old Power Mac G5 2.3 Ghz Late 2005. After some research i realized i had a bad power supply (tested with multimeter and no current from nowhere) so i bought a new one off ebay ($130 shipped). I have successfully installed the power supply and gave it a shot. When i pressed the power button nothing happened. I went back with my multimeter to check if the computer had current now and noticed a yellow led came on as soon as i removed the clear deflector. That surely meant it had current in the circuit but still thats the only sign of life I have. No fans, no lights no nothing. I have been thinking I have a bad power button or something but not sure. Someone had this problem or know how to fix it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

When you push the power button, check to see if the power light does any blinking.

3. hectbp thread starter macrumors newbie

No blinking of any kind.

4. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Jolly good then it be only a quick skip a de barbie over to your local ebay website ay

5. hectbp thread starter macrumors newbie

What?

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

My thoughts exactly!

7. CAINuKe macrumors newbie

CAINuKe

I think he means sell it, methinks the logic board is toasted.
    Probably a lightening strike of some kind. Either way I would sell it.
    Logic boards for the DualCores are hard to find in the right serial number range

8. MaxHeap macrumors member

MaxHeap

You might check to see if it's a candidate for a recap. It's fairly easy to do.

9. hectbp thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you explain me that please?

10. CAINuKe macrumors newbie

CAINuKe

He means Capacitor replacement, some early model G5 iMac and SOME G5 desktops suffered from Taiwanese knockoff capacitors being installed to the logicboard and with time. The capacitors would bloat/explode inside the machines making the logic board useless.

Unless you have some decent soldering/unsoldering skills and equipment I would recommend it. I did it to a G5 iMac and some were a nightmare to resolder in due to some of the surface mounted resistors surrounding some of the caps.

11. hectbp thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh how nice. I know how to solder but im not amazing at it. But may be worth the shot. How do i know what cappacitors are bad and where do i get the exact replacement

12. CAINuKe macrumors newbie

CAINuKe

If they look bloated,tilting to one direction excessively (as in unnaturally from bloating) or leaking.

you can find some by:
    Taking notes on the voltage & UF (Look for LOW ECR capacitors) that are installed on the logic board (they are all labeled on the side) and search thttp://www.mouser.com/ or Digikey (with the information collected) or search ebay for a full replacement kit.

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

14. thorns macrumors member

blown capacitors aren't really symptomatic for the late 2005 G5. So you'll probably be out of luck there..

15. drorpheus macrumors regular

the late 2005 models had an intial batch of bad 710W and 1KW power supplies theres a silent recall notice on the net somewhere and its in the service manual, I'd assume now its way out of the replacement window.

If your getting nothing at all, try reseating the processor a few times, and check for any bent pins on the logicboard socket, also did you re attach the power button cable? Also which led is lighting up yellow?

16. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Get service manual (if you won't be able to find one - PM me) and check diagnostic LEDs. Check front panel board too - once I had G5 with totally burnt one.