Power Mac G5 2GHz not connecting to 42inch LCD please help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by fkntotalkaos, Oct 8, 2008.

1. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502

Alright, I just lost my 22 inch LCD Acer AL2223W to failure.... it was working perfectly for a year then turned black all of a sudden. I thought it was sleeping as it usually does, but when I hooked my mac min and macbook pro it did the same thing. It turns on for a sec then off, back to black.
    Here is my problem, I am trying to connect my Desktop computer to my LCD tv HDMI like my mac mini is connected. Only problem is, it wont turn on. What am I doing wrong? LCD TV won't grab signal. My LCD works with my mac book pro and mac min but not my desktop. Is there a boot sequence or something I am missing to boot in lower resloution for it to work???. Card in power mac G5 is a ATI 9800 special edition.:confused:

2. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Try clicking "Detect Displays" in the Displays System Preferences pane. (You could use screen sharing from another Mac to do this).

3. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

My 42 inch LCD TV/display will not even turn on when connected to the Power Mac G5. I connect it to my mini, or Lap top and it will detect right away. All I need to do is to log on grab a document then print it from my TV, but I can not even get the G5 and the TV to work together. I even had my TV hooked up to my G4 without problems.

4. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

G5 working with my home theater projector, DVI to DVI input on infocus, still not working on 42 LCD.:confused:

5. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

6. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

I wonder if your graphics card in your G5 can even handle a 42inch LCD. That might be your problem. If so, what G4 do you have?

-iGrant

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Boot up your G5, connect it via ethernet to your mini, log into the G5, grab the document, print from the mac mini. Doesn't solve the monitor problem but it will get your document printed.

8. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

Or you could boot your G5 into "Target Disk Mode" and connect the G5 via firewire to your Mac Mini or Laptop and get the file that way. Either way will work.

-iGrant

9. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Almost 100% sure it is not the video card, Radeon™ 9800 PRO Mac Edition, is much better than my G4 and geforce 4600 ti card that connects without problem.

10. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

someone has to know what is wrong

Alright someone here has to know what is going on.
    LCD philips display works with:
    1: Powermac G4 Digital Audio Dual 533 with geforce Ti 4600 video card
    2: Macbook Pro 1.83 GHz
    3: Mac Mini 2.0 GHz

LCD philips display Not work with Power mac G5
    1: with OEM Video Card installed
    2: with the ATI 9800 Special Edition 256mb Video card installed

Power Mac G5 works with Infocus Projector with
    1: with OEM Video Card installed
    2: with the ATI 9800 Special Edition 256mb Video card installed

this leads me to believe it is not the card, not the monitor, but something else in the system software. Is there something in the system software that will allow me to force the display to detect, or show up?:confused:

11. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I think it is your video card. Something to think about, ATI cards often read the screen IDs wrong and result to a wrong resolution. My 4850 thinks my 22" supports 2048x for some reason and I always have to force to the correct 1680x1050. I think the OEM card is another ATI card isn't it?

12. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

It can't be the car. one is a nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra for Macintosh G5, the other is ATI 9800, Mac edition. Two different cards, drivers and both work with the Infocus projector but not DVI to HDMI input on my LCD TV

13. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Well, we weren't talking about a car but I get your point anyways. :D lol

Don't know what to say, I think maybe just work hard at getting a new monitor that works.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

Are you using the same cabling between the G5 and the 42" as all the other set-ups, or is it different? :confused:

15. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I'm not sure if would help, but try downloading the ATI Displays panel, and under advanced there are a few options to experiment with.

Settings under Advanced DFP might apply?

Attached Files:

16. SolusFides macrumors newbie

monitors not working on boot

you know, I had the same problem with my G5 w/ Radeon 9800. Didn't have a problem until I installed 10.5 yesterday.
    I have a dual-display setup. When both monitors are connected, the monitors never receive a signal and never wake up.
    Only when I have a single monitor connected to the DVI port, will it talk to me. Having only the VGA port connected, nothing.
    Once it boots, though, I reconnect the VGA monitor and tell the system to detect displays, and I'm back up and running.
    I'm going to try zapping the p-ram on my next restart to see if that fixes things. It's usually a good idea to do that anytime you make a bit update to the system. Holding down command(apple)+option+p+r during your boot and continuing to hold it down until you hear three or four boot chimes will accomplish this. I'll let you know how it goes...
    unless you've already resolved this issue?? if you have, let us know what did it.

17. jons macrumors 6502

What ports do you have on the 9800?

18. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I could be wrong here, but don't some of the G5 video cards have a single-link and a dual-llink DVI? Is the descrepancy between the two physical? It could also be some hooboo-jooboo between the DVI-HDMI interface or a HDCP handshake protocol. Try another HDMI solution (if you just have it lying around, lol, or maybe somebody else's TV) and see if you have the same problem.