Power Mac G5 Airport can't see any Wireless Networks

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by noil1955, Jan 29, 2012.

1. noil1955 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have acquired a Power Mac G5. The previous owner was using it wirelessly before I got it. Airport is on, but cannot see any wireless networks, yet when I check on my laptop (windows xp) from the same room there are 9 networks displayed in the 'view wireless networks' list (8 from neighbouring houses). I wondered if there was a setting needed switching on or off or whether my Netgear DG834N router is compatible or even if the airport card is kapuut! I have tried setting the system up in the same room as the router to see if distance makes a difference, still no change.

I have limited knowledge of the Mac systems so don't get too technical if you reply. :eek:
    The details are:Hardware Overview:
    Machine Name: Power Mac G5
    Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
    CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (2.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 2
    CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 3 GB
    Bus Speed: 900 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7

Hope someone can help. Thank you in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Does the G5 have the external antenna installed? It looks like a white plastic T that's plugged into the back. Without this antenna, the Airport hardly works.

3. noil1955 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. No there doesn't seem to be anything like this; does it stick-out very far? And where does it fix to? Regards.:)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. noil1955 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been in touch with the seller and this is what he said "All came pre installed and it's the same aerial which is on a laptop two long wires that use the casing as a big aerial, usually standard for mac aiport wifi aswell as the white attena" Is this any help? Thanks.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My guess is that the seller is taking about the internal antenna that connects the card to the port on the back of the PowerMac.

7. noil1955, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

noil1955 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, He does also say he was using it in this way to connect to his wifi. Do you know if these aerials can be purchased separately? Is there one for bluetooth as well? Thanks.

PS. Another thought after reading your link about the aerial; it does say "Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) models have their AirPort and Bluetooth antennas integrated into the enclosure, and do not use the external antennas described in this article." do you think this G5 could be one of those models?

8. Intell, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

9. noil1955 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is where they go. I haven't looked at the holes or the plugs closely, but if you feel like risking damage to your machine, you can try putting a paperclip in the Airport hole to see if that allows your G5 to see your network.

11. noil1955 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I will try something like the paper clip to see if I can get any visible wireless networks . I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

12. ickystay macrumors regular

I just got a PM G5 and no antenna. I am making due with the airport antenna wire thingy from a dead eMac. It's just plugged it into the airport extreme card and it's hanging out the side of my computer. I'm sure I can make it more sexy when I have a chance to deal with it...

Point is, on ebay (or wherever) you can find very cheap airport antennas for notebook computers that will plug into your AE card. With this in hand, us cheepos can get around the $20 bucks for a proper antenna.

I know people use safety pins, I just hated the expression "stick it in real hard" in the guys instructions. I worry that that would widen the hole so that if you did get an apple antenna, it would not make good contact with the connector.

Anyway, no biggie, just one more way you could go with this problem.