Power Mac G5 and Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro HDMI card

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bmorris, Mar 30, 2010.

1. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

I have a Power Mac G5 (quad-core) and a regular graphics card with 2 displays working.

I want to add a 3rd monitor (big HDTV) for clients. So I can sit in the studio and edit with the client in FCP. I also need to be able to use the QuickTime player and other apps as well in the 3rd monitor.

I can't just get a 2nd video card, it has to be a capture card, b/c FCP shows "Real Time Plugin Error" if I do.

Would the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro HDMI card work?
    I asked a rep in the online Apple Store chat, she had to check with a higher engineer rep, but she said it would. I don't always trust Apple sales reps bc they often give wrong info at the store. But with the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro HDMI card can I use the HDTV as a regular 3rd monitor (both editing in FCP and normal apps like QuickTime Player)?

Thanks.

2. hyram macrumors regular

I don't think so. I use to have a BM card in my mac pro, and unless things have changed, it was not possible to play directly out of QT via the Intensity card. FCP for preview was no problem, it actually works quite well for this.

Perhaps things have changed with the latest QT, but I doubt it. If I get time, I'll dig out the old card and give it a try, but I have to do a little reconfiguring to do so so don't really want to. Hopefully someone with more recient experience will chime in.

3. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

Not supposed to work in a PowerMac

Everything written everywhere I've ever seen says it's not supposed to work in a PowerMac. You might need a DeckLink capture card instead. In my Mac Pro, I use both a second video card and the Intensity Pro, since I can only view video from Final Cut, Motion, After Effects and Photoshop with the Intensity Pro. You can use a second HDMI input on the HDTV or a small HDMI switcher, but you'll need an audio out from your Mac if you use a second video card.

4. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

The Apple Rep checked about the G5, and took awhile to say as long as it's a Quad-core G5 it will work.

I do worry if it will play video out in quicktime player.
    They [the Rep and engineer rep] said it would, like a regular card.

5. hyram macrumors regular

Instead of asking apple, why don't you email Black Magic Designs? I've found them to be very responsive in the past. You might also try the question over at creative cow, they have a BM forum.

Mark

6. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

tried Creative Cow.
    Ill try BM, thanks.

7. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

Mine has never worked with any application other than pro apps that have settings to determine their output. Quicktime Pro 7 does recognize the Blackmagic Intensity Pro card for capturing video, but there are no choices for viewing quicktime playback thru the Blackmagic nor does Quicktime Player simply play video to the HDMI output.

I'd ask for some kind of proof before you purchase something expecting it to work in a computer it's not spec'd for and expect it to do something that it doesn't do.

8. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

Mine has never worked with any application other than pro apps that have settings to determine their output. Quicktime Pro 7 does recognize the Blackmagic Intensity Pro card for capturing video, but there are no choices for viewing quicktime playback thru the Blackmagic nor does Quicktime Player simply play video to the HDMI output.

I'd ask for some kind of proof before you purchase something expecting it to work in a computer it's not spec'd for and expect it to do something that it doesn't do.