Power Mac G5 - Assembled in USA

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Jul 4, 2013.

1. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

When I got my G5 a few days ago, I was surprised to find out that it was Assembled in USA. Now from what everyone has said, the Elk Grove plant (also called Sacramento plant, I actually live less than 4 hours from these cities) closed in early 2004 after everything was moved to China. My G5 is a early 2005 model that was made in July of that year. My 1.6GHz iMac G5 from April of 2005 was also assembled in USA, and this is after that plant closed.

Where are they made? No serial lookups can help, they just say it was assembled in USA.

2. Bear macrumors G3

As I recall, the Power Macs that were "assembled" in the US after the US plants closed were actually just final configuration of CTO orders.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've got a PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz that was made in China. It died about a month ago and my boss let me take it home.

I replaced the logicboard for $50 and now it's working fine. But when I checked the serial it turns out that this particular logicboard (which is actually older than the one it replaced) was made in the USA. So, I'm in a similar situation. The serial states it was made in December 2004 some time.

4. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

So do you think they were still CTO'd at Elk Grove or someplace like Fremont?

I heard that refurbished units came out of Elk Grove after the actual plant closed.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

How would I know though? As far as I'm aware it doesn't have a refurb serial. And it's just the logicboard, not the Mac itself.

6. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

What I mean is maybe the motherboard you swapped out was from a refurb model or something.

I did some more digging, and it looks like the ones after Elk Grove were made in Fremont according to this page on Apple's site, but still to be found out.

http://www.apple.com/supplierresponsibility/our-suppliers.html