Power Mac G5 - buy now or later

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ezjay, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. ezjay Guest


    planning to buy a G5 single-processor machine. Wonder if the upcoming MacWorld Expo is likely to lead to a price drop.

    Any thoughts on that?

  2. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    One thing's for certain: it'll be at least a month before you'll be able to get any newly announced system (or price), perhaps longer.

    It's possible that the 1.8 will be replaced with a 2.0. That would result in minor performance improvements. It's possible the price would be dropped.

    However, I suspect that the US$1499 price of an entry-level G5 won't drop. I suspect that the 1.8 GHz chip will become a 2.0 GHz chip. I also suspect that it might take some time before the new machines are available, maybe not.

    So my answer is: I think the price will stay the same. I think performance will be tweaked slightly. If you can wait, then wait. Better things always come along later. But, if you can't/don't want to wait, I doubt you'll be too upset. My Rev. A dual-2.0 is almost a year and a half old, and it works fine, and I have no reason to be jealous of the newer systems. I doubt you would wish you'd waited either.

    Of course, that's just my opinion.
  3. iGary Guest


    May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Buy now.

    They won't mess with that machine for a while.
  4. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    If you need a computer now then you should go ahead. As long as you can wait, then that would be the best advice. From all rumors an update is due in January or February. The new version may not be available till February or March.
  5. aussie_geek macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Definately hold onto your cash dude. I am in the market for a G5 as well. Hopefully something will be announced at the MWSF that will provide an incentive to buy one.

    Anyone think that there will be a 3Ghz machine announced at MWSF?

  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Exactly that machine is tied to iMac G5 updates, which means those machines will likely only see speed bumps over the next 12-18 months (along with updates to current I/O like FW800.)

    The rest of the DP machines are tied in with the XServe, so if there is any fancy updates there -- expect it to carry over to the PowerMac -- or the other way.

    Also since the Memory Controller seems to be shared with the rest of IBMs PPC970 customers, Apple is probably more likely to update them a lot quicker than their old 18 months to 2+ years for all the old chipset/form factor changes.

    Which seems a bit more exciting, especially since people see strong rumors on the eMac side and it radically changed chipsets 8 months ago -- usually these followed form factor changes, but that stayed the same.
  7. maya macrumors 68040


    Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    the SP PMG5 was just updated buy now or you will wait till march-april to buy a 2.0Ghz just when the iMac G5 will be updated.

    If you are buying a dual wait till after MWSF 2005. :)
  8. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I think that we will see a 3Ghz Power Mac G5. It will be announced either in January or February. My choice would be MWSF, this would be something that Steve would want to announce personally.
  9. cmvsm macrumors 6502a


    Nov 12, 2004
    No way will a 3Ghz G5 come out in January or February. It will at least be until the June conference before you see an update like that. You MIGHT see a video card upgrade in Jan or Feb or perhaps a price drop from the 1.8 to the 2.0 as a low end, but nothing major. The speed hump won't be a major deal, so buy if you need it. Otherwise, you will wait as everyone else does for the June 05' announcement of Tiger and a new G5. Take your pick. I'd go ahead and buy if you need it. Even if you don't and you don't want to wait 6 months, the dual 2.0 has enough power for years to come even if an update is around the corner.
  10. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a


    Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Hold on a little bit longer

    Unless it's an emergency situation and you absolutely have to have it now for work etc, why not wait a few more weeks and then you'll easily be able to decide what to do?

    Even if the machines don't get much of an upgrade, more than likely they will see a price drop. So my advice is to wait.
  11. Falleron macrumors 68000


    Nov 22, 2001
    I am betting that there will be anouncement during January (probably near the end of the month). They should announce the following:

    - Singe 2Ghz
    - Dual 2Ghz
    - Dual 2.5Ghz
    - New Dual 3Ghz *

    * But wont ship until end of feb. Also, improvements such as X800 available as BTO. Also, about 1Gb of RAM in the top machine.

    Thats what I really believe. I really cant see the next revision NOT having a 3Ghz chip. Of course, timing could be different. But I suspect that they will update them as soon as possible.

    As soon as a 3Ghz becomes available my order will be in!
  12. ezjay thread starter Guest

    Later, I guess

    Thanks for all the useful comments. Think I'll wait at least till the MWSF. A reason for buying now is that Apple's offering a 2.19% p.a. financing that ends 01/15/05. On the other hand that might be an indicator that prices will drop.
  13. benwa02 macrumors 6502

    Dec 6, 2004
    Ya i think its a hint that something new will happen. Apple is also offering a free printer for computer purchases that also ends 1/10/05 or 1/14/05 (i forget) Coincidence? I am also waiting till MWSF to see whats going to happen before i purchase a PM G5. Its only a month away and its sooo hard.
  14. aussie_geek macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    I agree that the lowest spec G5 tower will be the 2Ghz model. Apple would be wanting to separate the iMac and the PowerMac as much as possible. Fair enough the tower is expandable but straight out of the box, the 1.8Ghz iMac is virtually the same.

  15. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502


    Feb 24, 2003
    My advice, not based on product releases, is this: If you are undecided and need us forum posters to help you make a decision, then wait. It's obviously not a question of functionality.
  16. Dr. No macrumors regular

    Sep 13, 2003
    So it looks like the 1.8 single will NOT be updated @ MWSF?...

    (I am also thinking about getting one, and want to have it at Christmas) :)
  17. aussie_geek macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia

    I don't think there will be a 1.8Ghz after Macworld ;)


Share This Page