Power Mac G5 compatible WiFi cards?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macintoshbg, Nov 4, 2011.

1. macintoshbg, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

macintoshbg macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I recently bought a Power Mac G5, but I suppose it doesn't have an AirPort card built in (I'm betting on the negative scenario here just in case :D). I'm scowering the internet to see which PCI cards for WiFi are compatible with OS X Leopard and the G5, but it seems quite hard to come by, and an Apple AirPort antenna would take ages to get here. So, I'm asking if anyone knows any compatible PCI WiFi cards for the PM G5? Thank you all in advance :) :apple:

2. Nilscollection macrumors regular

Nilscollection

Why don't you just check if it's there? :confused:

You can either go look in the case itself or you can go to system preferences...

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

First open system profiler and see if you have wifi. The answer for that is on the very computer you're typing on. Do you expect us to hack in and look for ourselves? I'm confused..

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I found the Airport in those machines sucked so I use an Alfa AWUS036H USB dongle which is brilliant.

5. macintoshbg thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have it here yet -- I can't check! :D I'm just betting on the scenario in which it doesn't have an AirPort card. Also, does anyone know how I can tether it to my laptop via Ethernet? My lappy is on my home WiFi running Win 7 Home Premium x64, is there a good way to do this, if so it makes my life much easier if I can tether the two. Also, does anyone know a G5 compatible bluetooth adapter (or PCI card)? Thank you all so much! :) :apple:

----------

No, I'm typing from my laptop right now :D

6. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

IOGear makes one that's pretty good and I use it with my G5 tower. One downside, it can't be used to wake from sleep/hibernate. I keep an old Apple Pro Mouse around for that.

7. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Tethering is internet sharing, you have to share your internet connection thru your ethernet port.
    easily done.

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Honestly, I would really work on getting the Airport Extreme card and antenna. Its really cheap and effortless to get working. I've messed around with things like sharing internet from one computer to another and aftermarket cards, and its really just not worth the hassle to save a few bucks.

9. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

10. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

11. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

12. mike457 macrumors 6502

It is worth remembering that Apple's internal cards are "G" rather than "N." If he needs "N," he'll have to find a non-Apple card compatible with his bus.

13. macintoshbg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all!

Hello all,
    thank you so much for all your help. I will look for an AirPort card and antennas. I guess until I find something one I'll be using USB antennas, hopefully not for too long! Once again, thank you very much for all your help! :) :apple: