Power Mac G5 cooling fan problem after power supply replacement.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hardhatmac, May 14, 2009.

1. hardhatmac macrumors regular

hardhatmac

So, I have the latest 2.5 G5 quad.

The power supply recently blew on it so I had the local Apple shop replace it. I brought her back home and powered her up for the first time and the fans are on full blast the whole time.

Usually the fans would be on high during start up and while shutting down...but they would ALWAYS slow down when OS X is loaded. Now they are on high all the time.

specs: 2.5 quad, 6.5 gb RAM, 2x 500gb HDD's, GeForce 7800GT, 10.5.6 (I know 10.5.7 is out...I'm installing it tonight, as it took over an hour to install on my iMac's)

I know I can just take it back to the tech, but if I can fix it with a simple setting then I'd like to try that first.

Let me know...thanks!

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well... Have you checked your temperatures? If they are pretty high, then maybe your cooling system is giving out.

3. hardhatmac thread starter macrumors regular

hardhatmac

The apple tech checked all the cooling stuffs. So I know it's all functioning.

[​IMG]

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

lol, had to bust out the calculator for Celsius - Fahrenheit conversion (lol, I must be the only person in the States to use it). At least, I assume that is Fahrenheit.

Well, comparing your temperatures and mine, and considering my fans are variable and yours are always at full-blast, they seem fine.... If only one of your fans was full bore, I would say that it was not seated properly. Do you still have the plastic panel that is right inside when you open the G5? I've also heard that it being seated improperly would result in all the fans going ape.

And just to be sure that it is a software issue, you could make a bootable .iso of Linux, and just let it load and see how that affects fan speeds.

5. hardhatmac thread starter macrumors regular

hardhatmac

I've re-seated the fan assembly (that you have to remove to install more RAM) and the plastic panel...it hasn't changed the fan speed.

I've also upgraded to 10.5.7.

I don't know anything about linux...or how to make a bootable iso of it.