Power Mac G5 DC 2.0 Issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Orizence, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Orizence macrumors 6502

I have bought non-working a Dual Core 2.0 g5 with 512mb of ram on eBay for $30 as a project to hope fully repair. I have not yet received it yet but the seller has described it saying it powers on, but does not chime. No further testing is stated. I did notice that it appears that the computer did not include an air baffle...

Under the ram slots the Power led is lit Red and the Trickle led appears to be lit yellow.

Do you think the computer will work if I purchase a new air baffle?

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

According to the Apple error codes, the yellow light means no air baffle. The red light however, is listed as "contact an authorized service provider".

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Check to make sure the RAM is installed and properly paired-G5s won't POST(chime) without at least one good pair of ram installed.

If you look at your computer, there will be two separate banks of four RAM slots. The top slot of the bottom bank and bottom slot of the top bank are pair together. The pairs build outward-with one stick in the top bank and one stick in the bottom bank-from here. The pairs should be, at a minimum of equal capacity and type(i.e. ECC or non-ECC) but ideally it's best if you can match manufacturer all other aspects as best as possible.

The two innermost slots on my 2.0 Dual Core G5 are a bit "touchy" and sometimes will just decide to quit working. I usually don't notice it as the computer has more ram in it than I will ever use :), but do occasionally pull up "About This Mac" and notice it only reporting 6gb instead of the 10gb actually installed. Popping the two 2gb sticks(which are located in the innermost slots) and replacing them always clears this up.

Chances are, there's more wrong than this, but this is something always worth checking.

Fortunately, at least your Dual Core is air cooled, so at least you don't you have to worry about coolant leaks.

4. Orizence, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

Orizence thread starter macrumors 6502

Some news

I ordered a pair of two 512 mb for this G5, but as I am now almost completely broke till Friday I will hold off on ordering more ram.

I did manage to find a copy of the technician manual and noticed something... if the air baffle is out, the lights are supposed to be on :D So therefore there is some hope ill have a working G5