Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
Just archived and installed Leopard from Tiger 10.4.10 and on all our Macs, but the only PPC system we have is having serious issues. The system boots up fine, faster than before, however in the finder, systemuiserver and desktop freeze when booting into any of the two user accounts. I have reset the PRAM and NVRAM, and in the one instance I was able to get into the files I deleted the systemuiserver and powermanagement plist's at the recommendations of many. After all this I still get the "rainbow of death" (sorry, couldn't resist lol). As a developer I've used previous beta builds of Leopard on my Mac Pro system and had a similar situation with Leopard beta 9a499 which seemed to correct itself with the above fixes (and seemed addressed in later builds).

Upon many hours of research with Apple and at home, nothing seems to be the solution. If I can't resolve this I may have to install a copy of Tiger (or Leopard just to see) on an external HDD, boot and get into the files of the Power Mac to backup (if nothing is locked) any user files (a lot of Quicken 2007 files, ugh) and perform a clean install. If any one is able to give any help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.