Power Mac G5 Dual CPU crashing / not booting. Ideas?

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I have a 2005 Power Mac G5 with Dual CPU's (think it's the 1.8 GHz version). Sometimes it doesn't boot; when I press the start button, no boot chime, and if I leave it on for awhile, the fans fires up at 100%. If I do a force shutdown, and start it a few times, the boot chime comes up, and it boots correctly to the desktop.

Here, I would think that it could be a PSU issue, but wouldn't it be totally dead if it was the PSU? Because I can get to the desktop on 7/10 tries.

But it also sometimes freezes while using it. It just freeze the current picture, and I cannot do anything. If I leave it on, the fans fires up again.

So I'm more thinking about if it's a RAM issue? What do you think? And have anyone else have had issues like these?

Thanks!

ctmpkmlec4

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Lyons, KS
Do you have access to the AHT disc for your particular G5? If so, you might run the diagnostic and see if anything fails testing. I suspect it being an issue with the CPU or RAM. Have you replaced the PRAM battery lately?

Comment

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have had similar issues caused by faulty RAM. Even just one misbehaving stick can crash a computer, and it is even more so important in a machine that requires constant matched pairs.

Comment

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Do you have access to the AHT disc for your particular G5? If so, you might run the diagnostic and see if anything fails testing. I suspect it being an issue with the CPU or RAM. Have you replaced the PRAM battery lately?
Unfortunately not. So can't run the diagnostic.

Replaced the battery a month ago with a fresh one.

----------

I have had similar issues caused by faulty RAM. Even just one misbehaving stick can crash a computer, and it is even more so important in a machine that requires constant matched pairs.
I've ordered two new pairs of RAM. So going to see if that helps :) hope it's not the CPU/PSU. If that's the case, I might just bury it.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.