Power Mac G5 Dual CPU crashing / not booting. Ideas?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jafingi, May 27, 2015.

1. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I have a 2005 Power Mac G5 with Dual CPU's (think it's the 1.8 GHz version). Sometimes it doesn't boot; when I press the start button, no boot chime, and if I leave it on for awhile, the fans fires up at 100%. If I do a force shutdown, and start it a few times, the boot chime comes up, and it boots correctly to the desktop.

Here, I would think that it could be a PSU issue, but wouldn't it be totally dead if it was the PSU? Because I can get to the desktop on 7/10 tries.

But it also sometimes freezes while using it. It just freeze the current picture, and I cannot do anything. If I leave it on, the fans fires up again.

So I'm more thinking about if it's a RAM issue? What do you think? And have anyone else have had issues like these?

Thanks!

2. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Do you have access to the AHT disc for your particular G5? If so, you might run the diagnostic and see if anything fails testing. I suspect it being an issue with the CPU or RAM. Have you replaced the PRAM battery lately?

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have had similar issues caused by faulty RAM. Even just one misbehaving stick can crash a computer, and it is even more so important in a machine that requires constant matched pairs.

4. jafingi, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015

jafingi thread starter macrumors 65816

jafingi

Unfortunately not. So can't run the diagnostic.

Replaced the battery a month ago with a fresh one.

----------

I've ordered two new pairs of RAM. So going to see if that helps :) hope it's not the CPU/PSU. If that's the case, I might just bury it.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose