Power Mac G5 Fan Dilemma

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hallivand, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

Hey all, I recently acquired another G5 ($130!!!) that I'm running as a backup/music streaming/3rd monitor powering system and have run into an odd issue with the fans.

It's a Dual 1.8Ghz G5, 2GB RAM and a 150GB HDD, I believe Rev A. (No one piece CPU Cover, they are independent.)

When in Automatic mode, the fans rev up rather loudly for a few secs when I open new Finder windows, new safari/tenfourfox/camino browser windows or anything that seems to require short bursts of power. This also happens in Highest to a lower degree, and is least noticeable in Reduced (which I keep it on all the time now). On idle (either reduced, highest or automatic), the fans however always seem to be bordering that "rev" stage, where they are rotating pretty fast yet just under that threshold. I can feel the fan force behind CPU1, little less on the bottom one. Even in Reduced, when opening a new tab I can hear the slight revving, though nowhere as bad as in Automatic (sucks to run the G5 @ 1.4Ghz or what it runs when in reduced though)

I've ran Handbrake and used iMovie, as well as intentionally stressing the CPU's at Reduced/Automatic/Highest settings (used the < yes /etc or what it was, did it a few days ago and lost the website) to no avail, the fans never revving up suddenly, only gradually.

The temperature normally hovers around 45-50 Celsius when idling, which is actually very cool compared to my other Power Mac G5 (which hovers at the 55-60 Celsius mark).

I'm using my other Dual 1.8Ghz Rev B as my benchmark, which has worked flawlessly since I bought it 6 months ago. It's fans run normally, never exhibiting the symptoms of the Rev A I have. Even the chirping noise is only confined to file transfers, whereas on the Rev A its more frequent (but thats a non issue).

I've repaired disk permissions and ran the ASD 2.5.7 disk, everything turned up fine as well as resetting the PRAM.

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Any help much appreciated :D

2. DD4 macrumors newbie

Thats the issue. G5's aren't very stable in auto mode, they should be kept in either highest or reduced.

3. Hallivand thread starter macrumors regular

Hallivand

Though thats the thing, its somewhat unstable on all modes. The fans are always running rather fast, no matter what (you can hear the whirr that normally preceeds the jumbo mode, though it never reaches that stage unless a new tab is opened/short burst of energy).

I have it on reduced so even though I can slightly hear it revving in a "reduced" way, its terrible having to always run it in Reduced mode :eek:

Its that borderline jumbo jet/normal fan speed thats got me concerned though. Especially compared to my other G5, which is whisper quiet :confused:

I guess any way of reducing the fan speed would be great, though I've seen so far no one has a reliable way of doing it =/

4. 5th macrumors newbie

5. Hallivand thread starter macrumors regular

Hallivand

Yep, I spent quite a while actually thoroughly cleaning it last week. Compressed air into heat sinks, cloth to everything else.

No improvement :(

6. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

maybe the termal paste on the CPU is not sufficient anymore. I heard of some having that problem.