Power Mac G5 Fans running at 4k

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Wonton2112, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Wonton2112 macrumors newbie

Hello!
    My PowerMac's (G5 Dual 1.8GHz procs) fans seem to run at a solid 4k rpm's regardless of what I'm doing, even with CPU usage set to low. I've taken the whole machine apart, cleaning it with canned air and such, but the problem just won't leave me be. The air coming out of the machine is ice cold, and the temperature readings I'm getting are about 86 degrees F for the CPU's and 70 for the HDD, so I'm not sure what gives.. Slot and Backside fans are running at 255 rpm, but the others are all 4k. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

2. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Try this:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1436

3. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

I was researching how to adjust the base fan speed so I came across some posts on macrumors about how to do it. Check out this threat:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=424492

I never tried it because i get annoyed by the loud fans.
    I had it running on 4krpm once I was in this other room and just shut down another computer. I was thinking what the hell why are the fans still running :eek: while the computer was off... when I returned to the room where the Powermac was in (it was friggin LOUD!!), I was afraid it might frie the cpu somehow, that it was running too hot so I shut it down straight away. I never had it running @ 4krpm again.

5. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a ton! Hopefully this should solve my jet engine issues, heh.
    EDIT: No dice, seems my extensions folder does not have the file it suggests I edit.. I'm running 10.5.6

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

This may sound strange but worth a shot. Do you have the clear acrylic shield in the side? The fans will run at max if that is removed, even if you have the aluminum side door on. There's a sensor towards the back back of the machine(far right at the bottom) slot where one of the tabs of the clear shield goes in. Maybe that sensor went out?

7. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Now thats thinking with your noodle. Very valid point, and should be chased IMHO.

8. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wonderful idea. I do have the shield, but I will see if it is fitting into the sensor properly, and if it isn't, I'll have to see about ordering a new sensor. On the downside, I tried to turn on the G5 this morning, and it just won't... So on to a bigger problem I guess.

9. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

That is really weird... I have the file on my PowerMac G5 though. Maybe it is blowing so hard because it doesn't know at what temperatures to adjust its fan speed that it specifies in the AppleFan.kext I don't have the same G5 model but i do run 10.5.6 on it. Maybe you can ask some of the other members around here with exactly the same model for the kext file.