Power Mac G5 for video editing.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thefedeste, Nov 3, 2009.

1. thefedeste macrumors newbie

Hi

I am thinking about buying a system like this:

Apple Power Mac G5 Dual Core 2,3 Ghz "M9591LL/A"
    8 GB RAM
    400 GB HD
    16xSuperDrive DVD+r
    Grafik: NVIDA GeForce 6600, 256 MB RAM

My question is if it is better/faster than my Macbook Pro 2,5 dualcore intel 4GB ram ??

Really want a faster computer for video editing and year i know that FCS 3 maby dont work on it but FCS 2 is just fine for me.

So the question is do i get more power with the G5 than my MacBook Pro ??

2. ClivePwned macrumors member

The MacBook Pro would be fine with Final Cut, probably better than the Powermac.

I've been editing SD videos on a 2GHz Imac Core Duo (slower than your macbook pro with half as much RAM) and it feels much snappier editing than my G5 2.5 quad with 16 GB RAM does. If you want HD, then most Intel Macs would smoke the G5 you've mentioned. If you did a lot of work with compressor or Motion, the Powermac might have the advantage but overall I'd go with Intel where possible.

Maybe if you upgraded the laptop HDD to a 7200 RPM and a decent external firewire drive (or even a RAID array)

3. tri3limited macrumors 6502

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

your MBP is faster, by a lot

If you want a nice speedup, dropping a faster drive (or even a SSD) would help plenty.

Whats the specific model? Maybe you can get 6 gigs of ram in it?

You can also setup an external eSATA RAID 0 for even more speed.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Unless you get it for a couple hundred bucks walk away, IMO. More and more apps, plugins, etc., are moving towards intel only so PPC machines aren't good investments anymore and should only be seen as stop-gap/throw-away solutions, IMO.

Lethal

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

In a nutshell, your Macbook Pro will easily be ~2x faster than the Powermac G5. If you are looking for speed, going backwards in technology is not the way to go.