Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
I'm so happy right now. My Dual Processor 2.3 ghz G5 is almost fully upgraded... it has 8gb of ram, I'm getting a 1tb hard drive for it.

The only thing I'm not entirely sure if I want to upgrade is the ATI Radeon 9650, I haven't done much research into the graphics cards in g5's, but this one passes the gut test just fine. I can run Marine Aquarium with WallSaver to have a fish animated background, and run ScreenFlow or Desktop Recorder while playing a game like Call of Duty 1, or Civilization 3. I can also edit said gameplay in Imovie just fine.

But, assuming you were in my position, would you keep the 9650 or get a different card?

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I'm so happy right now. My Dual Processor 2.3 ghz G5 is almost fully upgraded... it has 8gb of ram, I'm getting a 1tb hard drive for it.

The only thing I'm not entirely sure if I want to upgrade is the ATI Radeon 9650, I haven't done much research into the graphics cards in g5's, but this one passes the gut test just fine. I can run Marine Aquarium with WallSaver to have a fish animated background, and run ScreenFlow or Desktop Recorder while playing a game like Call of Duty 1, or Civilization 3. I can also edit said gameplay in Imovie just fine.

But, assuming you were in my position, would you keep the 9650 or get a different card?

Well, I run a 6790 and a GTX650, so you might be good.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That's a good card. Not a top of the line model, but still a good card. What is the resolution of the display you use?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That card is able to drive those two displays well. I suggest not upgrading it at this time.

supernova777

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2007
i bought a radeon 9800 pro for my powermac g5 1.8ghz single
that i use for music, mostly osx midi sequencing..

and it made such a huge difference in the usability of the machine
i lucked out and scored a nice silent cooler for it too for free happend to eye
it on the shelf at a friends place lying there unused + abandoned;D

as far as i know the top of the line for the pci based macs
are:

7800 GS AGP nvidia
7600 GT AGP nvidia
x800XT AGP radeon
x850XT AGP radeon

these 4 cards are leaps + bounds better then my radeon 9800 pro even

im not sure about the pci-e dual core g5's
but in the pci/pci-x g5's the stock cards suckkkkk
radeon 9650 is best of the suck stock cards tho possibly
the worst obv the 5200 geforce agp blechhhh

its night + day difference for a g5 to get a good graphics card
ssd + a higher end graphics card makes a huge difference
in usability

here check this page:
http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/4B4B7BA2-7ABB-47F1-87AC-B03D37942BEE.html

lots of info for you there + cards ranked from worst to best, top to bottom
plus the next page has the info on the pci-e g5's

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.