Power Mac G5 Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cmgoodbody, Jul 12, 2009.

1. cmgoodbody macrumors newbie

I got myself a used Power Mac G5 without hard drive. The Person i bought it from had an 80 GB Seagate hard drive. i am replacing it with an 80 GB Western Digital. However i cannot get the machine to boot from the CD it just gives me a gray apple and an unending turning circle. i tried a different drive same make and model as the one i am trying to get the machine to take and the machine did boot from cd that time but didn't recognize the drive i assumed that was because it was an old windows drive.

I have combed every forum i could find online with relevant topics nothing has worked so far anyone have any ideas?

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

A) Zap PRAM. Dunno, but it works sometimes
    B) Try an installation of a different OS (Say, Yellow Dog Linux). If it installs, your OS discs are bad, if it does not, your optical drive is bad. Methinks.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Some discs do not work with certain G5 superdrives. I had a genuine educational Leopard disk that was reproduced (basically burned) and it never worked on a certain G5 drive. That drive took replicated (information molded) disks.