Power mac G5 june 2004 Dual 2.5 Wont Turn On!!! Please help!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Clevrowns88, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Clevrowns88 macrumors newbie

Hello. My friend gave me his old mac, its a june 2004 dual g5 powermac 2.5ghz, liquid cooled... Im not exactly sure what was wrong w it, i plugged it in and i could see a spark up behind the power button on the front of the case, so i replaced the power supply, there is no more sparking! But, when i plug it in, the power button light blinks on once for about a second. Then it shuts off and cant get it to do anything. I tried replacing the cr2 battery on motherboard, tried resetting the pmu, still no love... Anybody ever replace their june 2004 dual 2.5 liquid cooled powermac g5 or anyone have any idea? Thank you so much for your help, it would be great to have this running again.

2. drorpheus macrumors regular

yeah, the lcs is leaking from the o-rings/heat plates and either bridged a connection on one of the 2 cpus, or dripped on to the logic board. Either that or when the power supply was replaced, the cpus werent properly reseated, either way they are probably leaking, who ever replaced the power supply should have seen that when they took it out.

If you really plan on keeping it, you can get a lcs unit that will never leak w/cpus for like $150 on fleabay, the logic board will run $100 and the psu $50-$100, which will give you an almost new computer, bottom line, it wont ever leak, but you will need to learn to disassemble and reassemble it. But most dont want to spend any money, unless it goes toward something brand new.