Power mac G5 logic board?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by notorioussloth, Feb 12, 2008.

1. notorioussloth macrumors newbie

I recently had to decided to build my own computer and have gotten a nearly free quad core possessor (Intel 775 core2 duo quad core 2.4)I also been looking at buying a mac pro G5 well instead of boring you with the rest of my mobbo jumbo this is my question.
    Where can i buy the new g5 single quad core logicboard?
    Also i was wondering if this board is a 775 slot or the xenon server slot?

2. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

First of all, it would be an motherboard for the Core 2 Quad, not a G5. Mac Pros use Xeon processors, so you are not going to be able to use a Mac Pro motherboard. I suggest looking on Fry's website for motherboards that support Core 2 Duos.

3. notorioussloth thread starter macrumors newbie

No, because they make xenon 775 socket possessors, and the quad core is a 775 socket as well, so does anyone know where i can get the new logic boards in the mac pro g5,the single possessors one

4. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I would doubt that Apple's firmware in their motherboards for the Mac Pro would let you use a Core 2 Duo, but you could try. Please stop calling it a G5 because it is not a G5 :p

This site has the Mac Pro logic board on sale for $595.
    http://www.dttservice.com/macpro.html

It will cost you a lot since only Apple Certified Technicians can order them. I'm not even sure if they will let you buy one alone.