Power Mac G5 power cable

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Arkious, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Hi All,

Any idea if the Mac Pro power cable (the kettle lead with a square bit of plastic on it) fits the Power Mac? basically i want the original white looking cable for the power mac but cant find a UK version anywhere. But there is plenty Mac Pro cables on ebay.

Thanks

----------

helps if you read :-D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Apple...uting_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item20cdd3a99c

that answers that question! :p

2. Wildy macrumors 6502

The PowerMac G5 uses a standard 3-pin kettle lead (at least my model does). Something like this would work fine, rather than paying a premium for an 'Apple power cable'.

With regards to the bit at the bottom, I would have said that is scare-mongering. If it was a laptop which gets moved around a lot then it would be a valid point; but this thing is going to be sat still under a desk - there really shouldn't be any cable movement.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

What model PowerMac G5? The last revision (Late 2005, Dual Core/Quad) uses a special cable, not the standard 3 prong.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerMac-G5-dual-quad-AC-power-cord-rectangle-Power-Mac-/150478516556?pt=US_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item230937f14c

4. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

yeah i used a standard black cable at first, nothing wrong with that at all... just be being a bit 'anal' lol

5. Wildy macrumors 6502

6. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I'm not familiar with the UK types of cords, but here in the U.S. the actual Power Mac G5 cords are a thicker type then a regular PC cord and are rated for higher temps/watts. They do not recommend using a third party cord unless it meets whatever the minimum rating Apple's OEM cord because they're too thin, can overheat and start a fire.

Just a reminder. I use a third party cord for my G5 PM, but can't recall the actual rating. I know it's much thicker and heavier than a traditional PC power cord.

7. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I thought I was the only one who frets about the power cable on my powermac at work

8. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

I am assuming it will be the same sort of thing here, its just the plugs that are different as far as i can see. i have ran the G5 from a standard cable without knowing they arent rated specifically, however this was more for looks than anything else and well i guess that gives me a reason to have bought one :-D

thanks!

ofc ofc! christ my G3 you have been watching me mod uses its original transparent cable, why? BECAUSE IF IT DIDNT IT WOULD BE ILEGAL! lol