Power Mac G5/Power PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dorene, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Dorene macrumors newbie

I am wanting to install Leopard. Everywhere I check for minimum requirements it says the PowerPC is required. Since I'm shopping on ebay, and items not returnable, I want to make sure before I buy.

When I check the 'About this Mac' this is what it says

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
    CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 512 MB
    Bus Speed: 900 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.1.5f2
    Serial Number: RM410Z67NVR

Based on this, I am thinking there should be no problem installing Leopard. Am I correct? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I wasn't sure if by Power PC they meant model or what I have.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Get a current Mac Mini. PowerPC has been dead for years.

How the heck is PowerPC "required" for Leopard? :p

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Any G5 (with 512MB of memory and a DVD drive, which they should all have) is compatible with Leopard (NOT Snow Leopard though).

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/16/leopard-system-requirements/

You might not be satisfied with the performance on 512MB though. Unless you have a serious budget crunch or a specific reason to get a G5, I would echo the advice to get an Intel Mac.... (EDIT: Oh, sorry, I may have misunderstood... do you have the Mac already? Never mind the last part if you're shopping on eBay for SL not the Mac).

4. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

You should be good. But PowerPC isn't required; it's just allowed, for lack of a better word. ;)

5. zerostar macrumors regular

Your 1.8GHz G5 will run Leopard (10.5) just fine! This is also the FINAL Mac OS X you can run, so upgrade, update and enjoy!!

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

512MB of ram and a single 1.8GHz G5 processor will likely make Leopard a pain to use. I have a Dual 1.8GHz G5 with 3GB of RAM, and just then Leopard became very responsive. I was completely unsatisfied with running Leopard on a Dual 1.8GHz G5 with 1GB RAM.

Basically what I am saying is that with a single 1.8GHz G5 processor (instead of a Dual like mine), and 512MB of RAM, Leopard will chug.