Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
I am wanting to install Leopard. Everywhere I check for minimum requirements it says the PowerPC is required. Since I'm shopping on ebay, and items not returnable, I want to make sure before I buy.

When I check the 'About this Mac' this is what it says

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 900 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.5f2
Serial Number: RM410Z67NVR

Based on this, I am thinking there should be no problem installing Leopard. Am I correct? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I wasn't sure if by Power PC they meant model or what I have.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Any G5 (with 512MB of memory and a DVD drive, which they should all have) is compatible with Leopard (NOT Snow Leopard though).

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/16/leopard-system-requirements/

You might not be satisfied with the performance on 512MB though. Unless you have a serious budget crunch or a specific reason to get a G5, I would echo the advice to get an Intel Mac.... (EDIT: Oh, sorry, I may have misunderstood... do you have the Mac already? Never mind the last part if you're shopping on eBay for SL not the Mac).

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
512MB of ram and a single 1.8GHz G5 processor will likely make Leopard a pain to use. I have a Dual 1.8GHz G5 with 3GB of RAM, and just then Leopard became very responsive. I was completely unsatisfied with running Leopard on a Dual 1.8GHz G5 with 1GB RAM.

Basically what I am saying is that with a single 1.8GHz G5 processor (instead of a Dual like mine), and 512MB of RAM, Leopard will chug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.