Power Mac G5 Quad Core - Which Logic board needed

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dakiato, Dec 13, 2011.

1. dakiato macrumors newbie

I picked up a 2.7Ghz dual CPU Power Mac G5 from a friend (The CPU's water cooler leaked and killed the CPUs and power supply). I bought a new two dual-core CPU/Heatsink combo(P/N 631-0203 630-7419 according to the seller) and a 1KW (614-0373) power supply, although little did I know that these things had so many different configurations and it won't work with the current board.

So essentially, what I want to do is find a new logic board that will work with my new power supply and CPU. Could someone help me find the P/N I would need, or a site that would sell the board I need? These boards don't seem to be too common and there appears to be a couple so I want to make sure I buy the right thing this time.

Also, is the mounting on these two boards different? It'd be a pain to mount this new board if it is (But nothing Duct Tape can't solve)

Cheers

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

This gonna be a big fail IMHO. Late 2005 (PCIe) logic board has different mounting than AGP boards (all earlier models). Duct tape won't help here. You need a new case. Compare ports layout for instance.
    If you still want to accomplish this, best what you can do is buying cheapo 2.0 DC, put Quad CPUs and 1kW PSU there, then sell remaining stuff, including this dead 2.7.
    Any DC logic board should run with Quad CPUs, ofc thermal calibration will be needed.