Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LAHegarty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
York, UK.
Bought myself a Power Mac G5 Quad, you know the PCIe one, something keep drawing me back to them.

What are my upgrade options?

- SSD?
- Graphics?
- Raid card, ect?
- Whatever you can think of...?

Also software essentials? (Other than TenFourFox)

I'm running 10.5.8 at present.

Reactions: barracuda156

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Did you search for "G5 Quad Upgrades" anywhere? I feel that this system is quite popular due to it being the best PPC made, so there is a LOT of talk on the net about upgrades.

-SSD, get one with good onboard Garbage Collection
- Graphics, go for a GeForce 7800 for fastest, Quadra FX4500 for performance/price value, or a GeForce 6800 for a good card at a good price.
-RAID card, I am not too familiar, will have to look it up or wait for someone else to answer.
-Go watch The PowerPC Hub's last video series he just wrapped up. He maxes out a Quad G5 quite nicely!
-Software, see here: http://ppcarchive.dyniform.net/software.html

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
I would recommend one of the older Intel SSDs that are natively Data 2, and for graphics id recommend the Radeon X1900 as it seems to be the best for some gaming depending on the game. As far as PCI-E Raid\Sats cards I have been on the hunt for a bootable one for a while and cant seem to find one.

LAHegarty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
York, UK.
Did you search for "G5 Quad Upgrades" anywhere?
Yes, here and Google but it's nice to hear from you'all too. Thaks for the link, I will also check out the PowerPC Hubs videos.

I'll try one of the SSD's I have here first, though might just get a pair of VelociRaptors and raid 0 them up for retro fun.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Graphics, go for a GeForce 7800 for fastest, Quadra FX4500 for performance/price value, or a GeForce 6800 for a good card at a good price.

This isn't quite the case. The FX4500 is faster than the 7800GT, although it is a workstation card and not a gaming card.

For all out speed, though, the X1900 is the best although unfortunately they can be difficult to find.

The low end card is the Geforce 6600. It's not a bad card, but there are much better options for not a lot more money.

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
bunn is right. I was rushing a bit, and didnt want to go into more details, sorry. That said, watch that series from PPC Hub, he maxes his out and is able to watch 4k videos! :)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
He could always flash a X1900 or X1950. If anyone needs I could also dig up my X1900 roms that I used to flash my X1900XT 256mb edition.

That is true. I should do a ROM dump of my card, although I'll have to defer to someone else(like @LightBulbFun) if it could be used as-is or if it needs to be reduced.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
That is true. I should do a ROM dump of my card, although I'll have to defer to someone else(like @LightBulbFun) if it could be used as-is or if it needs to be reduced.
They are all usually the same I flashed three cards and they all had the same rom size (X1900XT 512, 2 x X1900XT 256, X1950). Sometimes all that needs to be done is the DEVID changed and thats about it. There was two places to do it I just cant remember where. But I should still have my modded X1900XT, X1950XT, and possibly the original X1900GT rom.

But at the end of the day, unless you have some super odd revision it shouldn't need to be reduced, and unless its flashed to another X1900GT the rom cant quite be used stock without a few modifications.

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
Other than what you mentioned, and RAM, any hardware upgrades left are really only for more special uses. I mean, one could install a high end compatible audio card for audio production, or a SCSI card for interfacing with SCSI devices, but those things might be useless to you if you're not planning on doing stuff like that. So, the question is, what do you want to do with your PMG5?

LAHegarty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
York, UK.
So, the question is, what do you want to do with your PMG5?
Facebook.

But really, a bit of everything, video/music production, web browsing, heating my house, etc.

And I like to spec my computer out because I find it enjoyable.

I have a few really nice firewire sound cards already so I'm not looking for an internal card atm, as for SCSI card I didn't need one I'll use an SSD internally and firewire 800 drive externally.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Facebook.

But really, a bit of everything, video/music production, web browsing, heating my house, etc.

And I like to spec my computer out because I find it enjoyable.

I have a few really nice firewire sound cards already so I'm not looking for an internal card atm, as for SCSI card I didn't need one I'll use an SSD internally and firewire 800 drive externally.

I'm glad that you don't need SCSI.

Finding a G5-compatible PCI SCSI can be...interesting...to say the least. I just bought what I think is about the 7th or 8th SCSI card for my PCI G5. I have high hopes of it working, as I ALMOST got the PC version of the same card working.

With PCIe, you have an even bigger battle on your hands. I've not found any conclusive reports of a particular model of PCIe SCSI card working in a G5. Most of the suggestions I've seen are quite expensive, so I've just settled for the fasted PCI/AGP G5 for my SCSI needs.

Reactions: LAHegarty

LAHegarty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
York, UK.
Re: Garbage Collection.
How do I know if my SSD has 'Garbage Collection' on an unbranded SSD?

Finding a G5-compatible PCI SCSI can be
Yeah, it's a shame there weren't a few more generations of PCIe G5's then there would be more supported hardware and more choice out there.

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
If you're havy-using TFF make sure to set the "browser.sessionstore.interval" to a much higher interval. Otherwise TFF (or Firefox) will update the current browser-session very frequently with draws speed from the whole system and stores up to 1-10 GB data per day onto your hard drive/SSD
You can change settings by:
about:config
browser.sessionstore.interval (15000=preset)
I increased the interval for my Firefox/TFF-browsers to 3600000 = 1h
https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

Last edited:
Reactions: LAHegarty

LAHegarty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
York, UK.
If you're havy-using TFF make sure to set the "browser.sessionstore.interval" to a much higher interval. Otherwise TFF (or Firefox) will update the current browser-session very frequently with draws speed from the whole system and stores up to 1-10 GB data per day onto your hard drive/SSD
You can change settings by:
about:config
browser.sessionstore.interval (15000=preset)
I increased the interval for my Firefox/TFF-browsers to 3600000 = 1h
https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

WOW, Just changed to the advised 1hr and it's now way more responsive on my PowerBook G4. Super helpful, thank you
@bobesch

Reactions: tevion5

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
Where did you find it to buy if you dont mind me asking?

I've been watching ebay for probably the past 2 months and I haven't found any quads there, mostly DP 1.8Ghz

LAHegarty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
York, UK.
Where did you find it to buy if you don't mind me asking?
I found it on eBay UK. My advice would be to keep looking and a lot of the time the seller WILL NOT write in the title that it's a quad Power Mac so check the description and also look at the sellers photos, look out for the grey antenna (Grey strip on the left) and 3x USB ports (Bottom right) rather than 2x this will indicate DDR2 model. (Photo for reference)
6pLv48q.jpg

Mileham

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
Cascadia
This isn't quite the case. The FX4500 is faster than the 7800GT, although it is a workstation card and not a gaming card.

For all out speed, though, the X1900 is the best although unfortunately they can be difficult to find.

The low end card is the Geforce 6600. It's not a bad card, but there are much better options for not a lot more money.

Does the FX4500 require flashing

Does the FX4500 need to be flashed? I have a Quad I'd like to upgrade as well, but I have no Windows box to flash with, as I understand the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.