Power Mac G5 Questions or Opinions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ImTheOne, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ImTheOne macrumors member

Ok, I have finally gotten tired of just the power of the little white macbook, and am looking to upgrade. I currently have my macbok setup in "Desktop Mode". I do not really wanna spend $3000 on a mac pro at the moment, because I am still in school and cannot afford that, so I have resorted to buying a Powermac G5 because I have heard that they can still do pretty much whatever you need them to do. So my question basically is it going to be fast enough to get me covered for the next few years until I have the money to get the really new stuff, and all the ones I have been seeing are like $600 for Dual 2.0ghz with 1gb ram and a radeon 9600 graphics card, is 600 worth all of that? I am really just wanting some basic info just so I can know what I am looking for. Thanks
    P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong section for this. =/

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'm in the same boat as you (MacBook Pro used as a desktop) and been considering a G5 myself. I've decided to go for nothing less than 2.3GHz and preferably the last dual core model they made. Honestly, if you've already got a MacBook, I don't see how dual 2.0GHz could satisfy your need for more power. Shoot for a dual 2.3GHz, 2.5GHz, 2.7GHz or one of the quad 2.5GHz models. The only downside to the 2.5GHz+ models is the possibility of the liquid cooling breaking and frying the computer. If you can find one of the dual core 2.3GHz models in your price range, I'd go for that one first. They have faster RAM, PCI Express, and some other improvements on the older models. I just prefer the tower of a laptop and can't afford a Mac Pro either.

3. ImTheOne thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, and the main thing that my macbook preferably needs more of and honestly if it had more of it I would not even consider a Powermac is v-ram I think for the amount of money we spend on their products that they can definitely afford more v-ram then they put in it. And I have been looking and the dual 2.3ghz are not THAT much more, so I will prolly end up buying the 2.3ghz now that you mentioned the other stuff it has that the 2.0ghz does not have. Is there anything else to consider when buying a G5? thanks

4. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

also interested into how good a power mac g5 would hold up for a few years. i've got my macbook (and love it) but want something for the home and power
    does anyone know how much the g5 cost when it came out?

5. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I think I bought mine for around $2500 or so. I just saw one with the same configuration as mine (Dual 2.0 G5 / 5.5GB RAM / 320GB HD) sell on eBay for $700. That seems about the going price for these - still quite capable -computers.

I'll probably be throwing mine up for sale here in a few weeks, once I'm sure there's no glitch with my new machine.

6. awmazz macrumors 65816

You may be better off sticking with your Macbook. Some Primate Labs' benchmark numbers:

Mac Pro 8 core Xeon 3.2 GHz - 8853
    ~
    G5 2xdual-core 2.5 GHz - 3244
    Mini core 2 duo 2.0 GHz - 2580
    MacBook core 2 duo 2.0 GHz - 2566
    Mini core 2 duo 1.83 GHz - 2376
    MacBook core duo 1.83 GHz - 2289
    G5 dual 2.7 GHz - 2256
    Mini core duo 1.67 GHz - 2138
    G5 dual-core 2.3 GHz - 2075
    G5 dual 2.3 GHz - 1953
    G5 dual-core 2.0 GHz - 1805
    G5 dual 2.0 GHz - 1735
    ~
    G4 dual 1.25 GHz - 1051

It's just a compendium list of historical benchmarks so doesn't mention the actual RAM or graphics card configurations so I assume they are all the stock configuration, so maxing out a G5 may make more difference. But looking at these basic rankings, pretty much the only intel Mac the highest Dual G5 (2.7GHz) outranks in performance is the lowest spec'ed core duo 1.67GHz Mini, while it doesn't even outrank the lowest spec'ed 1.83GHz Macbook.

Only the quad 2.5GHz G5 beast holds its own against the Intel Macbooks and Minis.

Comparing between the G5's, a higher GHz dual processor is better than a lower GHz dual-core. At the same GHz, the dual-core is better.

Bang for your buck at the same price, a new Mac Mini looks a better option than a second hand G5 PowerMac.

7. ImTheOne thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that, but the main thing I need more of like I said above is V-ram and since the macbook is not upgradable in that area, then I think a G5 would be perfect and its pretty much exactly what I need, because I have Logic Studio and Final cut express and those kinds of things, yeah run perfect on my macbook, but would like them on a more stationary computer because Logic studio takes up about 47gb and I would rather not have that on my laptop so, I am getting one either way, I am just trying to see what models are worth it. But thanks for that!

8. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Primate Labs' only tests CPU and memory. The G5 will whip the macbook in drive speed and graphical power, it will outright make a Mini cry comparing graphics performance.

awmazz is incorrect though, the dual core machines are a big leap over the dual cpu machines in memory, expansion and graphical bandwidth. The dual cpu 2.7 has more raw CPU power but a dual core 2.3 will outgun it in everything else.