Power Mac G5 - rebuild worthy?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by KOZmac, Nov 26, 2015.

1. KOZmac macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2015
    I have somehow inherited a nice Power Mac G5. I hooked it up to a 20" monitor and it seems to be running fine.

Here are the specs:

PowerPC G5 (3.1)
    Dual 2.7 GHz CPUs
    512 KB L2 Cache
    4 GB (4x1GB) memory DDR SDRAM PC3200
    1 TB SATA SMART drive
    1.35 GHz Bus
    5.2.4f1 Boot ROM
    ATI Radeon 9650 256MB video card (1680x1050 - matches monitor max)
    Airport Extreme

currently running OS X 10.5.8
    (no further upgrades available)

Suggestions on what I could best use this for?

I was thinking about setting it up for my teenagers for internet/email and to start learning to write code. I have other computers with Adobe CC stuff on it, so I wouldn't need it here....but maybe a "lite" photo-editor would be ok.

Any suggestions on what upgrades are "worth it"? (given what I plan on using it for)

It would be a shame to let it die....hahaha. I'd like to let my kids "coax it along" for a while. :-D
  2. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Aug 10, 2012
    You are posting in the wrong forum. While it resembles a Mac Pro its a Power Pc based Mac. Try reposting in the PowerPc section of Macrumors.
  3. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2015
    Yes you are posting in the wrong place but Ill try and help. I still have that very mac G5 it was one of the better ones you can use a hacked flash to watch youtube.Also there are many theme options to give 10.5 look and feel of the newer os's . take a look at this site loads of useful stuff on power macs http://macpowerpc.com/powerpc-u/