Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Hello,

So I've had my Power Mac G5 two days now and its been running flawlessly. Earlier I did a couple of quick tests bootup, a photoshop .psd load and restart in comparison to my Quad Core 2.5Ghz intel i5 iMac. The results maybe surprising.

Feel free to check out the Video below

http://youtu.be/V9RGfGZOg14

Last edited:

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Hello,

So I've had my Power Mac G5 two days now and its been running flawlessly. Earlier I did a couple of quick tests bootup, a photoshop .psd load and restart in comparison to my Quad Core 2.5Ghz intel i5 iMac. The results maybe surprising.

Feel free to check out the Video below

http://youtu.be/V9RGfGZOg14

Nice video. Love the speakers.
It would be sensible to publish some more details on the machines, like:
- CPU specs
- RAM, Hard drives used
- operating systems
- PS versions

RGDS,

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
thats all in the video description.

Touché!

Those specs considered, I find it honestly amazing that the iMac is not faster than that (or the G5 slower). Basically only the main hard drive is similar. the iMac has double the cores (Geekbench 1500 vs. 7200) , 20+ x the memory (running at higher speed) etc..

Can it really be that Leopard is so much quicker than Mountain lion?

RGDS

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
Even tough i would like to think that the PowerMac G5 was quicker, it all comes down to software. To run this test fairly, one would have to do a clean install of Leopard on both computers and run the same software, as i can see that you are using two versions of Photoshop.

Something that is very important to consider is software optimization. Over time developers have been getting sloppy with their coding, thus creating unoptimized code that eats more RAM, GPU and CPU. Sadly, the latest versions of OS X is also suffering from that.

This video only proves that Leopard is quicker than Mountain Lion. But it sure is nice to see a quick G5 in this x86 world!:apple:

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Even tough i would like to think that the PowerMac G5 was quicker, it all comes down to software. To run this test fairly, one would have to do a clean install of Leopard on both computers and run the same software, as i can see that you are using two versions of Photoshop.

Something that is very important to consider is software optimization. Over time developers have been getting sloppy with their coding, thus creating unoptimized code that eats more RAM, GPU and CPU. Sadly, the latest versions of OS X is also suffering from that.

This video only proves that Leopard is quicker than Mountain Lion. But it sure is nice to see a quick G5 in this x86 world!:apple:

I am using both Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CS2 both versions were the latest out at the time each machine was made. Leopard would never install on the iMac, the drivers simply don't exist for an iMac this new. I think I would be only able to downgrade as far as Snow Leopard on my iMac. I would say to make the test fairer I should install Panther 10.3 on the G5 since that's its original factory OS and Mountain Lion is my iMacs factory shipped OS

----------

Touché!

Those specs considered, I find it honestly amazing that the iMac is not faster than that (or the G5 slower). Basically only the main hard drive is similar. the iMac has double the cores (Geekbench 1500 vs. 7200) , 20+ x the memory (running at higher speed) etc..

Can it really be that Leopard is so much quicker than Mountain lion?

RGDS

Im sure i got a geek bench score on my G5 of 1749 the other day. I imagine the 64-bit geek bench would be a bit higher too, but they aren't as slow as people make out. It's gonna be running logic studio so I can archive all of my old vinyl. Some in my collection are from the 1930's so they should be digitised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.