Power Mac G5 won't startup, need help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by airiox the red, Nov 8, 2007.

1. airiox the red macrumors newbie

I have this Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0GHZ and it won't startup. The system powers on, everything spins up, but the screen is completely blank. It is giving me 3 flashing lights, which the manual indicates is incompatible memory. I also have an older model Cinema display and it flashes 3 times as well. According to Apple's site, "If you see a repeating sequence of three short flashes, the monitor is detecting input in the wrong video format." that is the diagnostic for the Cinema display.

So I have two conflicting reports and am not sure which one is proper. I have 3.5GB's of RAM and took them all out and tried starting up with just a single pair in. I tried this will all 4 pairs of RAM and still get the flashing lights.

I am not sure what is wrong, perhaps you could give me your opinion, is the motherboard messed up, Is all my RAM messed over, has my video card failed, or something else?

Thanks

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Have you upgraded anything recently. On older powermacs, I've had RAM make it so I get no video to my display, so that would be my guess.

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Isn't there a recall on that model about power/video problems. I would check apple's support site.

4. airiox the red thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure, I just bought it. All the RAM is fairly low quality. I know he did some self diagnoses and purchased a replacement video card, but that didn't fixed the problem. It has 3.5GB, 8 sticks and none of it is very high quality. So I'm hoping its the RAM, but 8 sticks of RAM failing all at once is unlikely unless something catastrophic happened. I did try some RAM out of my current PC that shares specs with the G5, but that is designed for PC usage and from what I've read, it looks like this particular model is especially temperamental when it comes to accepting RAM.

So if it were my guess, it would be the RAM. My dad takes his school computers to some local guys and says they are about as good at anybody. I probably will take it to them tomorrow to get a diagnosis. I just hope it's not the motherboard.

There was, but unfortunately my model isn't one of those covered.

5. airiox the red thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got a call from the indy apple store I took it to and the confirmed it was the logic board. Could you guys please recommend a good quality place to buy a replacement logic board from?

Thanks