Power Mac G5 Worth 375?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by krypticos, Mar 24, 2011.

1. krypticos, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

krypticos macrumors regular

hello i have been talking to a person that has a 2.3ghz pci-e power mac g5 with 2gb ram and dell montior ,apple keyboard and mouse. do you think its worth $375us or not.

2. Wildy macrumors 6502

Depends on what currency. If it's in GBP then it's pushing it really, I guess the limiting factor is how good is the monitor?

3. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

sorry US currency

4. Wildy macrumors 6502

Well if we did a straight currency conversion then that comes out at £230, which with the included monitor and keyboard seems pretty good to me. - although I'm not sure how much $375 is actually worth in the US, I think you guys have everything priced slightly cheaper which may or may not make it good value for money. I got my G5 Quad for £270 and that was without the upgraded RAM or monitor - although it did come with a nice keyboard which I'm using now :D

Is the 2.3GHz dual or not?

5. iLucas macrumors 6502

Several factors here.
    depends on the keyboard and mouse also, if you getting the newest wireless keyboard and a magic mouse, new thats around 150 alone.

and like wildy said, depends on the monitor as well.

for the powermac itself i wouldnt pay more than 250 for just that machine.

i paid 170 for my 1.8 dual processor with 2 gb of ram.

6. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

7. iLucas macrumors 6502

Looks to be around a 19" monitor and in decent shape so I'd guess its worth about 100 at most.

The keyboard and mouse don't look to be worth much money,
    I'd say talk him down to 350 and get it ;)

8. California macrumors 68040

California

The 2.3ghz dual core is a nice machine. Good price for a full package, but stuff it with ram and a new hard drive for best performance.

9. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

That KB and mouse was the Apple standard for 5+ years my friend. You talk about them like they are something cheap and generic. Far from it..

To the OP:

The dual 2.3GHz is the most reliable system of all the G5 towers and the price is fair for what is included. I simply comes down to how much your desire to buy it.

10. iLucas macrumors 6502

I know they aren't. I have a set myself!

But somewhere like ebay, I wouldn't expect to bring a ton of cash.

11. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

i want it badly but i just really wanted to see what the community thought about it.

12. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

thank you everyone for your replies. im just waiting for her email to come in.

13. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I think I really need sleep as i'm not even typing grammatically correct and leaving out letters here and there. :)

Been up working on hardware for about 32 hours. Wooo!@#

14. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

i would say go do bed. thank you for your help.

15. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

dual

16. iMikeT macrumors 68020

My question to you is, why do you want this particular machine so badly?

I mean, Apple is starting to completely phase out PowerPC support. PPC users, myself included, are lucky that Apple is still releasing universal versions of their apps. However, I don't think that support will last beyond 2011, especially once OS X Lion is released.

17. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

That hurts my feelings... :( there are still people who are not willing to part with PPC machines. Don't question what we want, ask yourself what you want and satisfy it.

18. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

While Apple might not, there are 1000's of other minor developers still making programs for the PowerPC and there are plenty out there who are devoted to keeping the platform alive.. Again, both PPC and Intel have their uses.. for everyday use and some pro app work, a PPC is a good choice.. for heavy multi-threaded work and audio + rendering work, the Intel Mac Pro or any other Intel machine is recommended..

Right now I have a 2010 Mac Pro that I use for everyday purposes of which I have moved back to my PowerBook G4 1.67 for most of that.. Now its a matter of when I am in the mood to sit in my chair do I then use my mac pro. I felt I spent 700 for the 6-core for nothing only to just prolong this machine, as I seriously doubt the Sandy Bridge is going to make a huge difference. Plus, this is my LAST mac pro.

19. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Agreed.. why bash something you have no idea about? Do I bash Intel? No, I like my Mac Pro... but since I am not using it to its full potential, nor do I plan to do any video editing or serious animation work.. all I did was get the Mac Pro as if it were a Power Mac for everyday purposes.

Running Windows 7 on it and Youtube all day isn't very productive.

20. iMikeT macrumors 68020

How obsessed can people be with the past? If I were to apply the same logic you're using to other things found in my home, I suppose that the company that made the 14 year old toaster in my house better be ready when it needs a part replaced.

There was once a time when a stone was the only tool available to pound something. Eventually, things that needed to be pounded became more and more complicated and difficult. To remedy this issue, complex tools were developed to compensate for the difficulties. The stone is still around today but those that have access to modern-day pounding tools probably would not dare to use a stone to pound something.

Not once did I bash anything. Keep in mind that I'm still on a PPC Mac myself, though not entirely by choice. It would behove you to reread what it was that I stated in my previous post. I simply stated what I think Apple will ultimately do to PPC. I'm sure there are people out there that still whine about how Apple ditched Classic support in favor of OS X, and it has been 10 years since Apple introduced OS X. Gotta move on at some point people...

Lastly, I have no clue why you purchased a Mac Pro if you were not going to use it to its full potential. Could it have just been poor planning on your part? Or did you just see yourself wanting the most powerful machine that Apple makes and making an impulse purchase? Or a combination of both?

If your only task is to watch YouTube videos all day, why didn't you get yourself an iPad/iPhone/iPod touch or another lower-powered Mac?

21. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

The guy is equating computers to toasters.. Wow.

It's apparently all about how he perceives things for us that matters. :rolleyes:

iMikeT: Go engulf yourself in intel and leave us to our own devices.

22. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I'll try to put this in a way you can understand...

Computers & toasters = technology

Technology + time = change & evolution

People ≠ change & evolution

Use brain ≠ people

The answer is to quote myself...

23. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Sorry iMikeT but your arguments are fundamentally useless. Everything you argue is based on unoriginal mass thinking.

Don't worry about what others use for a computer. You should only be concerned with what you need to use or buy.

For your own sake I wouldn't try and engage any of us here in a battle of wits as you are clearly unarmed.

24. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Well I am not. I just find your "things of the past" still useful up until this day "the present" and maybe 10 years after into the future.

25. MacHamster68, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i use my iMac G3 700mhz from 2001 for light web browsing /emailing
    and all !my office (word ,excel )needs , and it does that as good as any new computer , maybe the brandnew i7 iMac or a 12core MacPro could do it slightly faster and yes maybe they can do a lot more , but why should i spend £2000-£5000 if a £50 computer does what i need and thats the point , i need a computer to work on and not to show other people how much i can spend on a computer

as long as the computer does exactly what YOU ask it to do ,then its perfectly fine for YOUR needs, and then it does not matter a bit how fast it is or how new or if it can run the absolute latest app or OS, the computer has to do what you need it for , not more not less ,that all what matters

and the G5 PowerMacs are not really what i would call underpowered or outdated