Power Mac G5. Worth Fixing?

Nick Welsh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
My school has an old Power Mac G5 which has stopped working. I was playing with it about 6 months ago and I thought the GPU was dead. 6 months later, and it looks like the PSU is shot. Is it even worth trying to save? We where looking to put it into the control booth for our auditorium, which is being completely re-thought as it's ancient.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
My school has an old Power Mac G5 which has stopped working. I was playing with it about 6 months ago and I thought the GPU was dead. 6 months later, and it looks like the PSU is shot. Is it even worth trying to save? We where looking to put it into the control booth for our auditorium, which is being completely re-thought as it's ancient.
Parts are probably quite cheap, but the effort of replacing a G5 PSU is immense as far as these repairs go.

bobesch

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Is it possible to just modify a regular PSU to work in it? ThePowerPC Hub did that with an old PM G4
I thing, it's a better deal to buy some really cheap G5 with damaged screen and use your screen (and maybe RAM-chips and HDD) to build up that unit. You will also have other spare part, e.g. if the fan starts to get noisy...

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Recycle.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
If you are interested in it, go ahead, it's a fun project.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I'd say give it a try, couldn't hurt to have a project. How do you know that its the power supply? I got a G5 recently that was given to me as having a dead power supply. Pressed the reset button on the motherboard and plugged it in and voila it worked perfectly!

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Go back to the Intel section. ;)
All joking aside, he asked if it was "worth" fixing. Assuming he can fix it for free then as a student it may be worth it. The minute he has to spend more than a 100 bucks on it, the school is better off getting another computer, i assume they have limited resources.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
technically you don't need a screen for a G5 once its setup, ever heard of VNC :p (you don't even need a Graphics card for that matter LOL)

Reactions: tevion5

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Replacing the PSU in the G5 is challenging for sure but it can be done. When I got my PowerMac G5, the PSU was shot and I had to replace it. Has been running like a champ ever since :)

TxBook

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
Richmond, VA
As far as the value equation goes... Which model G5 is it? If it's a single 1.6 or 1.8 model, it may not be worth much more than a learning exercise... not to say they aren't usable, just less practical. Also, didn't the G5 quad use a 1000watt PSU with a special power lead?

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
As far as the value equation goes... Which model G5 is it? If it's a single 1.6 or 1.8 model, it may not be worth much more than a learning exercise... not to say they aren't usable, just less practical. Also, didn't the G5 quad use a 1000watt PSU with a special power lead?
Yeah it did, the Dual Core models also used the special power cord