Power Mac + Leopard = No sleep mode

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Veldek, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hi all,

after having installed Leopard, my Mac doesn't go to sleep anymore. When I activate the sleep mode, it begins to "shut down" and the fans begin to blow. Normally, shortly afterwards it would sleep, but now the fans blow and blow and blow and nothing more happens. Using the mouse wakes the Mac again.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this? Repairing permissions didn't help...

2. diddy macrumors 6502

So I'm NOT the only one! ;)

Same here.

Thought it could be the AlchemyTV card, but even with that removed and all the drivers uninstalled, the system will not sleep on its own. PRAM zapped, permissions repaired, etc.

Goes to sleep just fine manually, either through the Apple menu or power button.

3. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Interesting as I also have an AlchemyTV card. But it can't be it, as you took it out and it still wouldn't work...

Both of these don't work for me, that's my problem.

4. ghettochild macrumors regular

5. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Thanks. Seems I'm not the only one with this problem and there doesn't seem to be a fix yet. Hope Apple solves this soon!

6. ghettochild macrumors regular

Make sure you report the problem at Apple's feedback form.

7. Veldek thread starter macrumors 68000

Veldek

Yes, I already did this, thanks. HTH.

8. antirty macrumors newbie

Surely someone in the big ol' Apple corporation could give enough of a f'ck about wasted energy consumption to write a god damn patch to make this work.

My G5 system worked fine with energy save auto-shut-down when I had just my apple ADC display. As soon as I bought a second non apple(LG) DVI display it stopped working. I thought the glitch was something to do with having two screens as I read somewhere. However my Apple display turned a little strange and fairly recently stopped working, only displays a blank white screen... can't find out the reason for that either. Strangely started working again at one point and was fine for 2 months and then promptly went white again and no signs of anything else from it since... works fine in every respect accept it only displays white light, apart from the odd vague attempt when initially turned on to show some other colours.....

Anyway... Apple screen died, now I only have a DVI display plugged in, but no sleep mode. So I assume there is no Apple patch or software out there that sorts this problem!? Or did I miss something!?

Thanks if you could be bothered to read all that :)

p.s. strange thing with the Apple display is I did see a little termite looking creature drop down inside one of the clear plastic legs only a matter of a few months at most before it went wrong, and remember clearly thinking that termites in your Apple display might not be a particularly good thing!? I've had the screen from new mid-2002, lasted till 2009, has been perfect through-out.... then termite seen in screen and dies as feared in a matter of 4 months max.... coincidence!? I was thinking I might find a colony inside when I tried to repair it :D ... not found them yet! lol