Power Macintosh 6500/275 PCI Network Card Options

kenrainforth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Hi,

My Power Macintosh 6500/275 doesn't have a network card installed and was just wondering if there were any recommendations or any compatible recent cards available I could get off Amazon (UK) etc. I've checked several websites stating what cards will work (listed below) but just wondered if there was something that wasn't being described as 'Vintage/Rare/Retro' with a price tag to match. I've also wondered, as I have a USB card installed, if there was a USB Network Dongle that would work? I'm running System 9.1 and will try to get 9.2 on there using a fix I've read about online, don't know if that changes any of the recommendations or not but thought I'd state it.....also, I don't know why I'm going to try upgrading to 9.2....it's just in my nature.

Any help, advice would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Ken

----------------------------
PCI network cards
  • Apple:
    • Ethernet 10Base-T/10Base-2/AAUI Card
  • Farallon:
    • Fast EtherTX 10/100 PCI Card - PN994-TX
    • Fast EtherTX-10/100 PCI Plus - PN996(L)
    • Gigabit PCI Card - PN9000-SX
    • EtherMac PCI Card 10Base-T- PN593-TP
    • EtherMac PCI Card 10Base-T/Thin - PN593-C
    • EtherMac PCI Card - PN893-TP
  • Sonnet:
    • Aria Exteme N PCI
    • Presto Gigabit Pro

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
a common cheap n cheerful ethernet card would be anything RTL8139 based

its an ethernet card/chipset that has drivers for literally every OS under the sun :)

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia

its an ethernet card/chipset that has drivers for literally every OS under the sun :)
I'll second that. I used a cheap RTL8139 PCI card in a Power Macintosh 7220/200 many years back - it worked fine in Mac OS 8.6 and 9.1, as well as several PowerPC Linux distros of the time.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

kenrainforth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019

Thank you for this, really appreciate it, I'll go in search of one now. Thanks again.
[doublepost=1548863219][/doublepost]
I'll second that. I used a cheap RTL8139 PCI card in a Power Macintosh 7220/200 many years back - it worked fine in Mac OS 8.6 and 9.1, as well as several PowerPC Linux distros of the time.
Also, thank you for seconding it, much appreciated. Cheers.

EnriqueG

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2017
Another vote for rtl8139 chipset.

I had one Sawtooth G4 with a faulty built in ethernet port and an old Realtek card from PC worked great as substitute.

kenrainforth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Great, I've ordered one today on eBay £3.50, can't go wrong....well, on price anyway. Thanks for your responses. I'll update this once it arrives and I've tested it. Cheers.

kenrainforth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Fantastic, what a great forum this is! Really appreciate the help, I never had a Mac when I was growing up and by the time I went into IT as a job it was DOS then DOS/Windows then Windows NT and so on. It was funny seeing drivers labelled Novell Client for OS/2 and Embedded NT4.0 in the list for this card. Takes me back.

I've been a modern Mac user for maybe 10 years, love the products, can't help getting carried away with the stuff. I've recently wanted to go back a bit and look at some of the older models, the 6500 came up on eBay and was near me in immaculate condition, like new to be honest so I got it. Since then I've made a few schoolboy errors, wiping the machine before copying off the USB card drives, installing 9.1 over 8.6 from an ISO mounted on the desktop....failed, re-wipe. So other than buying this machine I've had to buy a USB floppy drive for my MacBook Pro and an external DVD/RW drive - just in case.

I'm now up to 9.2.2 after using the OS 9 Helper app, all working nicely and I'm now watching A Hard Day's Night, cause it can and I can!

Bit of a long reply but just thought I'd put some background around my request.

Thanks all again.

Ken