Power Macintosh 7100/80AV to network?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mitmap, Dec 10, 2008.

1. mitmap macrumors newbie

Hi! I've got an PowerMac 7100/80AV in my school's museum of computers. I've bought an Ethernet card for it, and the manual says: insert card, turn on mac, go to control pannels, select 'network', choose 'Ethernet', enjoy. BUT there is no network control panel in the control panels folder. Any ideas?
    :confused:

2. n8mac macrumors 6502

Ancient :apple:;)

I hope I can clear things up.
    The bad news is that machine can't take the ethernet card you bought. The good news is that machine already has ethernet built in, albeit an ancient form called AAUI-15 (Apple Attachment Unit Interface). More found here
    In order to connect your 7100 to a modern network, you need to buy a Tranceiver to convert it to 10BaseT. They are old but can still be found on sites like www.ebay.com.

When setting up a network on pre-OS X Macs like OS 9, the manual to your ethernet card was wrong/not for Mac.
    Apple - control panels - TCP/IP - Connect via: Ethernet

Also it helps to know what OS your 7100 is running.
    Apple - About this Mac

n8

3. mitmap thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got near the mac, The system is 7.6. Found lots of adaptors for AAUI on eBay. Many thanks.

4. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I think they did make AAUI boxes with RJ-45, I remember having an Asante(spelling?) with both RJ-45 and BNC but I think remember seeing Apple made boxes with just RJ-45.

5. n8mac macrumors 6502

Yes they did. Some had RJ-45, some had AAUI, and some had both. However after looking it up I found that this particular model had only AAUI. I am glad when Jobs came back that he thinned out that mess and implemented standards.

6. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

No, I was talking an AAUI adapter WITH an RJ-45 connector.

[​IMG]

7. TrapOx macrumors 6502

I had one of those on my old 8100/100, it never worked well.