Power Macintosh 7100 Worth?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by smallnshort247, Dec 31, 2010.

1. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Hey all,

I pulled my Power Macintosh 7100 out from the basement and was wondering if its worth anything or will it be worth anything in 20 plus years or so. I'm guessing that they're not that rare.

Here is a video I recorded of it (skip to the middle of the video to see the actual computer)

Thanks for the insight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzzJXbviIfg

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Unfortunately I don't think it's worth much, or at least not enough to justify the time and expense to ship it anywhere. You might get something for the motherboard - some vintage Mac geeks like to drop 7100 mobos into Quadra 700 cases, but we're still only talking small amounts of money.

Perhaps throw it on Craigslist for $10-20 and see if you get any nibbles?

3. smallnshort247 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Alrighty then. I'll hold on to it then because it has a good amount of sentimental value to me since it was my first mac/computer. Thanks for the info though!

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Got Box and Original Packing and Disks/Manuals?

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Unless you really need the money, keep it! If you think you got a kick out of it in 2010, imagine how much fun you'll have whipping that thing out and showing it to the grandkids in a couple of decades. I have a bunch of my grandfather's old cameras, they blew my kids' minds when they saw them.

6. Strimkind macrumors member

If you do that, make sure to remove the PRAM battery!

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Heh. Exactly what I wish the previous owners of my 8100 and 8200 had done - then they might remember the time....

8. Strimkind macrumors member

I was thinking more to do with battery leakage over time while stored. If left long enough the battery will leak over the logic board and damage them beyond repair. You can always get a replacement battery for them on ebay for a few dollars.

9. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Well the batteries in both my 8100 and 8200 havent leaked, and thats after 6 years, however I will eventually get them new batteries... once Ive got every other Mac on my list (I dont count batteries as a dire need as the machines boot anyway)

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^ I'm the same - I've never had battery leakage, but I tend to have only two or three batteries for the machines that I'm tinkering with at any given time - then swap them around to other machines as needed. At least for my purposes, it's not all that important for the PRAM to stay intact while the machine is powered down.