Power Macintosh 7600/132

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by stevo1, Jun 29, 2008.

1. stevo1 macrumors member

I have a 12 year old Power Mac 7600/132 gathering dust, and have decided that it's time to make some space! It still runs, but as you can imagine it's so old, nothing particularly useful can be done on it. Last week I tried to do a clean OS install (OS 7.5.3) but found that the installation disc isn't being recognized.

Given this, and given that they're not even getting much on ebay, I'm thinking of just taking it down the recycling centre the next time I go.

Would people here be inclined to agree?
    Or are there any places that would take a Mac like this?

Any advice (agree/disagree) appreciated.

2. superman193 macrumors regular

I'd take it, and it would get great use.... way better then a recycling center would get. I'd probably get daily use

3. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

I believe the earliest system software for this machine was 7.5.5. Which would mean this is the earliest OS you could instal on it, could be why 7.5.3 is not working? If you can get hold of OS 8.6 I would suggest this is the optimum OS for your machine, depending on the installed RAM.

If you want to get rid, stick it on ebay as collection only. You won't get much for it, but at least it will go to an enthusiast and should be minimum hassle for you.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Yeah, me too. It was a wonderful machine in its time. I could even watch video and TV on it, and capture analog video.

But only at 640 X 480.

And that's the rub. Even with a 400 mhz G3 in it and about half a gig of ram it's just plain obsolete.

It's probably going here.

5. stevo1 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I was really happy with it when I bought it, and made good use of the video capture for my college projects. It's kind of weird (a bit sad) to be getting rid of it, given the history. But circumstances change don't they?

7.5.3 was definitely the version that shipped with it - the earliest one. In terms of RAM, it came with (and still only has) 32 MB.

Yeah, I may well do that. I'll hook it back up later today and take another look at that CD.

6. embiencechaser macrumors newbie

I would use it for fax purpose if the modem still work. Use no paper at all after all.:)