power macintosh g3 - all in one

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ericmillah, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ericmillah macrumors newbie

i receive salvageable materials all the time, and about a month ago i got an old school desktop. Power Macintosh g3 - all in one.

it doesn't boot up. i took it all apart, cleaned everything, went through the service manual, reset the cuda, bought a new 3.6v battery, used a different power cord....

im a handy guy, but im not too savvy with computers. i can use them, but im not educated on the hardware operations.

i dont need a walkthrough or anything major, just some ideas on possible reasons for the malfunction. everything is in order according to the manual.

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

maybe the hard disk is dead or it is missing some essential boot files

can you get the OS restore floppies?

3. ericmillah thread starter macrumors newbie

boot disks are out of question.

i guess i will try an alternative (compatible) hard drive....if i can find one.

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Get Mactracker http://www.mactracker.ca/ before you start spending too much time searching for bits 'n' pieces, and what's possible and what's not.

For example, they came out with a 4 or 6 Gb hard drive, but apparently they'll take up to 128 Gb, which would makes your search for any necessary replacement easier.

Try a computer recycling place for parts, also OS CD etc.

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

You say it doesn't boot, but is there any indication of power getting through or the Mac chime? Some all in ones had screen issues after a period of time, including early iMacs, although that wouldn't necessarily apply to your AIO.
    Unless you're getting some kind of drive or Mac icon flashing on a grey screen it probably won't work even with a new drive.

You've had it apart. There's a DB 15 connector inside that would be compatible with an external monitor with an old Mac to VGA adapter.

6. ericmillah thread starter macrumors newbie

yes. i can hear the transformer power up. its a high pitched electric sound, very faint. i can hear it turn off too.

i will check the monitor.

if it is recieving power shouldnt the cdrom drive be able to open up?
    i cant get the thing to eject...

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Ok, the cd is powered from a standard 4 pin drive power plug.
    This could be an indication that it's not a logic board problem, because I seem to remember the drive accepting cds even if the computer didn't boot.

BTW, stick a straight paperclip into a hole on the far right of the cd drive to see if will open up.

8. ericmillah thread starter macrumors newbie

ok.

cd drive is open, and doesn't close back up on its own. (thanks for the safety pin trick)

i powered on and off and the disc drive still doesn't close. the drive is connected to the logic board. seems that i might have to check the power supply.