Power Mac's with dual layered DVD drives as standard?

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Hey guys,

I just hold of my new dual 2GHz powermac, and noticed some places Link saying that the standard Pioneer 117 DVD drive is actually a re-labelled (and function reduced) 108 (which is capable of higher speeds & dual layer burning!)

Has anybody here done the Firmware upgrade to get it going? Is this thing true?

Thanks for your time guys,

FireArse

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Apparently this is true but I haven't seen any firmware patches yet. OSX does support it entirely, so even if you'd swap it for an internal Dual Layer drive OSX would recognize it, etc.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Diatribe said:
Apparently this is true but I haven't seen any firmware patches yet. OSX does support it entirely, so even if you'd swap it for an internal Dual Layer drive OSX would recognize it, etc.
Actually Applle might not recognize the 108. So it may not have full functionallity.

The 117 model is what is supported and if you re-flash it with the 108 firmware, the drive will identify itself as a 108 instead of a 117.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Bear said:
Actually Applle might not recognize the 108. So it may not have full functionallity.

The 117 model is what is supported and if you re-flash it with the 108 firmware, the drive will identify itself as a 108 instead of a 117.
I have heard that some people have in fact swapped the drive for a Dual Layer one and OSX recognized it. These are not facts though as I have only read this and not seen it.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
If you have access to a PC you may be able to alter the firmware (read: flash it to a full 108) there, then bring it back. I seem to remember reading an article in which they did just that.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I just wonder when Apple is going to bundle double layer drives (and DL firmware) with their systems. It's strange that officially you need an external drive to make double layer DVDs.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Diatribe said:
I have heard that some people have in fact swapped the drive for a Dual Layer one and OSX recognized it. These are not facts though as I have only read this and not seen it.
The question is, did it recognize it as an Apple Supplied/Supported drive? If not, then certain things won't work on it. (Mostly iDVD I think will have issues.)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Bear said:
The question is, did it recognize it as an Apple Supplied/Supported drive? If not, then certain things won't work on it. (Mostly iDVD I think will have issues.)
Yes, this would be good to know. I guess there's only one way to find out...

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
simie said:
117 to 108 upgrade rpc1
I tried this on my G5's Pioneer 117D and it worked flawlessly. Toast and the Finder both recognize the drive as a Pioneer 108 now, and the iApps still burn without any problems...without even using patchburn.

I can now get 16x DVD-R write speed (previously 8x) and 32x CD-R write speed (previously 24x). Dual Layer burning should be 4x, but I haven't tested it yet.

And... so far, all of the 8x media I've tried (ProDisc, Ritek, Memorex) have all burned at 16x speed! Burns an entire DVD in 3 minutes! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.