power management 10.5.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swordfish5736, Dec 19, 2008.

1. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I noticed a weird thing in the latest update. They decided to remove the selection of better battery life, better performance and custom from the drop down menu for power management. They also removed the options while the computer is plugged in. Im so used to being able to switch between options so easily in all previous versions of OS X as far as i can remember so it seems kind of counterproductive to remove this feature

I havent noticed a way to get it back up there but of course you can go to the energy saver prefs to look

2. roger6106 macrumors regular

That's strange. I wonder why they removed that.

3. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Same Here!

I was wondering if this was just me or other people as well - obviously not just my machine..

anybody else noticed this issue?

I cannot for the life of me see why they would remove a useful feature like this.. :(:confused::(

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

It didn't change mine.

Attached Files:

5. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

This is sorta a power management problem...

Has anyone had problems with putting the display to sleep after the update? The display wont go to sleep after "xxx" minutes that it is set to go to sleep at. Also when I force it to sleep (using expose) it wakes up randomly after a couple of minutes.

Any experiencing this too?

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The wake up has happened, IF I have left iTunes open, but only for a couple seconds.

7. Mercellus macrumors regular

The build of Mac OS X 10.5.5 that shipped on the Aluminum MacBook and the MacBook Pro (Late 2008) did not include these options in the Power menu item either. I believe Apple have purposely removed these options from the Power menu item for the sake of "unity" across all of their notebooks.

The power profiles on Intel-based Macs only really control the screen dimming and hard drive spin-down settings, whereas on the PowerPC Macs, these options actually controlled how the processor was throttled and such.

8. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

except that

That power profile selection was available as part of a list when you clicked on the battery icon up on the top bar therefore there was no need to go into system preferences. Extremely handy and if anyone knows how to bring it back i will worship you!!!

9. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

My MacBook Pro (new version) will not follow the Energy Saver settings. I've reset the power management (this may have helped for a while), but it will now only follow the settings after a reboot. Several hours later the display will sleep, but the CPU never goes to sleep.

Anyone else?

bb