Power Management Settings

Allistah

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Trying to figure how exactly what each of the settings do so that I can set it how I want it. Something I noted:

if you set:
  • hibernatemode 25
  • standby 0
There appears to be nothing you can do to control when it goes into hibernation mode, other than standard sleep. You don't ever get any standard sleep time before it goes into full hibernation. Setting standbydelayhigh/low to 10800 or any high amount of time still causes the system to go into full hibernation around the 2 minute mark. Playing with the autopoweroffdelay has no effect on it either.

So, how to I get this type of configuration:

System is on
5 minutes pass
System goes to sleep
5 more minutes pass
System goes into full hibernation

No matter what I do it's always sleep and 2 minutes later full hibernation without any actual regular sleep.

Thanks for any info anyone might have. Tried this one two different MBPs both running the latest Mojave.

Allistah

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Hey there.. Thanks for the reply. Here is what I have when the power cable is unplugged:
  • standbydelaylow 10800
  • standby 0
  • halfdim 1
  • sms 1
  • hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
  • gpuswitch 2
  • disksleep 1
  • standbydelayhigh 10800
  • sleep 1
  • autopoweroffdelay 14400
  • hibernatemode 25
  • autopoweroff 1
  • ttyskeepawake 1
  • displaysleep 1
  • highstandbythreshold 50
  • acwake 0
  • lidwake 1
With this, I would expect the system to go to sleep after 1 minute, then when it hits 10800 seconds in sleep it would then hibernate fully. It hibernates after about 2 minutes to matter what values I have in there - with or without the power cable plugged in.

Allistah

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I would think that if hibernatemode 25, and standby 1 with the delays for high/low both set to 1, it would sleep for the set time and then do a full hibernate.

With whatever settings - doesn't matter - if someone can figure out how to get a regular sleep to occur for X amount of time, then go into a full hibernate mode (25) I'd love to see the settings for it. I just can't figure out how to make that scenario work at all and now I'm starting think there is a bug or something in this area.

Allistah

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Did some digging in the logs. No matter what I set anything to, I always get this in the system logs. The time delays change if I change the delays, and those show here but it always says the delay is too short and no matter what the delay is set to.. Minutes to hours, the behavior doesn't change. I don't know, really seems like a bug here.

• powerd standbyDelay:200 eligibleForStandby:1 elapsedTime:0 gDelta2Standby:200
  • powerd calculateAcceleratedStandbyEntryAndExitTimes: remaining standby delay 0.000000 is too short. (inactiveWindowStart=583567200.000000, inactiveWindowEnd=583593300.000000, now=583520842.806031, timeInSleepUntilStandby=200.000000, delayForAcceleratedStandby=900, expectedEntryTime=583521042.806031, expectedExitTime=583593300.000000)
  • powerd Phase: preStandbyPhase. Unuseable inactivity window