Power Mat charging?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by atarria, Jul 23, 2010.

1. atarria macrumors member

Anyone tried to charge an iPad using the PowerMat device?

2. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Powermat is a custom case with all the stuff built in. There is no such case for iPad, last time I looked, so there's nothing to try.

3. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

The powermat is a waste of money in my opinion at the moment, there is no such thing as "freedom" if you need a case for it, I'd rather wait for the day that apple incorporates it into the device and also kills the dock connector and makes wireless syncing... Can't wait for that day :p

4. prot0type macrumors regular

No case yet, but they do have a universal adapter that allows you to change out various tips for most devices, this includes the 30pin connector.

I suppose it cuts down on the clutter if you already own a power mat, however I can charge all my gear using a Chargepod for around $70 less.

5. atarria thread starter macrumors member

chargepod

Chargepod looks interesting but he list of compatible mobile devices does not include iPads.

6. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

The Powermat cant charge the iPad. I just plugged the iPad into the universal cube charger with the apple tip and the iPad said not charging. Powermat is supposed to release more powerful mats later this year that can charge netbooks so maybe it will work then.

7. prot0type macrumors regular

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Works, but much slower than the included charger.

9. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

10. Gandalf.Fix macrumors newbie

Good for overnight charging?

Perhaps it will work better for me because I find my self charging the iPad while i'm asleep. The apple charger can do it in about 4 hours so that leaves a few hours of the discharge/charge cycle to keep it full. Apparently not the best thing for the battery. Will report back if it's EXCEPTIONALLY slow :p

11. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

As long as the power mat has to be plugged into the wall it's not that useful. And physics demands that any sort of wireless charging is going to make less efficient use of power than a direct connection unless superconductors are being used.