Power off 5s????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gasmansz, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Gasmansz macrumors newbie

Do i need to power off my new 5s from time to time??? Is there any benefit to doing this?????? And for how long??????

2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

No.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

A reboot every now and then clears things up and is good!!

4. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

With anything computer related a reboot will be beneficial from time to time even just to reboot the software and settings etc.

5. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

Still on a 5 but I leave mine on 24/7. I just switch to airplane mode over night and have a weekly reminder to do a reboot on Fridays at 6am

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Do that once in a while and you're fine.

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I only reboot if something is not working properly--same as I do on my computers.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've never rebooted any of my mobile devices on a regular schedule. Only if something is acting weird. So far I haven't needed to reboot my 5s, but I did completely run the battery down the other day so that would count as one.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

A reboot from time to time could be a good thing.
    You don't need to keep the phone switched off for some minutes. Just switch it off before recharging it (it will power on itself as soon as you connect the power plug).

10. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

If the phone doesn't reboot automatically from crashing, I have to reboot the phone every morning to get the real battery percentage.

11. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

A reboot at least once every 2 months is definitely beneficial for the system. Also a full discharge (to 0%) roughly every 1 month (2 months max) is necessary to maintain battery longevity (i.e. battery life and degradation)

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Realistically, there's no benefit OR detriment, except maybe a little extra wear on the sleep/wake/lock button.

If you're experiencing weirdness from your phone, quitting all apps usually solves it. If that doesn't, THEN a reboot will probably help.

Other than that, no, there's no benefit to regularly shutting off or rebooting your phone. For some people, there's a placebo effect if they regularly reboot their devices, and that's a holdover from the Windows XP and prior days, when memory leaks were prevalent and memory management was bad. But this isn't Windows XP. Even Windows 7 is far better at it now. But iOS and OS X are UNIX based, and those systems can run for long periods of time without corruption.

But, if it makes you feel better to reboot, then sure, do it. It won't hurt anything... it's just not actually gonna help, either.

I've had Macs, linux servers, iPhones and iPads run for months without a reboot. Usually the only time they ever do is after a critical OS update.

13. wxman2003 Suspended

I only reboot when needed and don't turn the phone off. Don't worry about battery calibration. Just recharge as needed. You don't need to run down to zero. That's a joke. Just do a full cycle recharge once a month. In other words, If you charge when it is at 50%, that's half a full cycle. The next time you recharge at 50 percent, you have completed a full cycle recharge. Again, draining to zero is a waste of time.

14. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

I turn off at night just to preserve battery life. 5% drain overnight is pointless.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Isn't only a waste of time, draining to zero is quite stressful for the battery.

You are not preserving it by turn off every night.
    The booting process of a smartphone is one of the most stressful activities you can do.
    The overnight drain of my iPhone 5 in aero mode il 2% maximum (sometimes is still at 100% after 6 hours).

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Reboots can be useful if something isn't working right or perhaps the phone is acting a little off in some way--so once in a while in average more or less.

The draining of the battery won't do much good for the battery--the most it can help with is a better calibration of the battery meter that can become a bit off after some time, but that's mostly it.

17. treichert macrumors 6502

No, don't do that. It puts unnecessary strain on the battery and does not do any good.

18. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

It calibrates the battery indicator to the actual capacity.

If you have your iPhone hooked up to the charger 24/7 that might be the case, but being a mobile device, rumor has it that people drain the battery completely quite often anyways.

Charging the battery to 100%, then not connecting the charger anymore until the iPhone runs out of battery, then charge it back to 100% is something should happen during normal operation - and if you always charge it when the indicator reads 1-5%, then waiting for it to drain completely isn't even that big of a deal, and the only difference, and should only be done "once in a while".

19. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

I reboot mine everyday and after a full charge. I noticed that the battery percentage is not accurate after a full charge until the phone is rebooted. Sometimes after a full charge it will show 100%, but after a few minutes it's down to 98%. If I reboot, the percentage is back to 100% and stays there for a while. So yes.....reboot often and close your apps before you reboot. The phone just works better after a daily reboot.

20. big samm macrumors 65816

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I say again: the booting process of a smartphone is one of the most demanding operations it can do.
    So, do you trade a "better calibration" (if any, we are speaking about 1% difference most of the time) with the stress of the hardware ? Your choice ...

I suggest to do that only once in a while, surely NOT every day.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, I don't particularly think that a boot up is stressful on hardware, per se. Perhaps that's more the case on a desktop or laptop with spinning disks. Then the spin up and spin down processes can arguably be seen as stresses. But aside from physical buttons, iPhones largely have no moving parts in the hardware, nothing that would be prematurely worn down anyway through power cycling.

I still say the effect is net zero: only when the phone has truly crashed is it beneficial, but most times it isn't... nor is it harmful.

23. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

During the boot phase, every electronic component of your iPhone is powered to the maximum performance for a while ...
    It's not a physical stress like the spin up of an hard disk (I don't have any hdd on my Macs since last year ;)), but it's a stress nonetheless ... In the long term is more harmful than beneficial.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's actually debatable. All iPhones since the original have been running with under clocked components. They may run at the maximum "performance" allowed by the configuration, but it's well within the design spec.

Not to mention, if there is actual stress, it's a lot shorter than when someone streams video for a long period, or uses their phone as a hotspot. The heat output alone is a lot higher from those two actions than simply starting up or shutting down.

Following the "reboot causes stress" logic, one should never, ever update their software, as that process requires one or two reboots.

Anyway, continuing to argue this isn't really worth it. The phone will be just as happy NOT rebooting often, anyway, and I agree that's the way to go since rebooting often is just a waste of time.

25. Oui macrumors 6502

Its amazing the amount of garbage on the internet.