Power Off

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nanogirl21, Feb 17, 2012.

1. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Is it okay to let the battery completely die on a jailbroken device or power the phone off completely without causing any damage? I am on a 4s IOS 5 device jailbroken with absinthe. Due to the short battery life that I am receiving I am afraid one day I will be out and about and my battery will completely die. I am not always around an outlet or USB port to charge my phone and I am not interested in battery case packs. It would help if I was able to turn the phone completely off around without having to re-jailbreak and start "over".

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yeah it won't hurt as long as your jailbreak is "untethered.". All devices support 5.0.1 untethered at this point, so it's safe to install and upgrade that.

3. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

well absinthe is tethered so I would have to restore back to factory and start over regardless right?

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

No absinthe is untethered so you're fine.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Absinthe is untethered.
    You wont have to do anything besides plug it back to the charger.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

It is good to calibrate your battery by letting it occasionally drop down to shutting down.

7. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Sorry for not understanding but what classifies it as untethered? I do have to plug my phone into the computer in order to jailbreak it. That is why I thought it was tethered.

Also, you said I wouldn’t have to do anything but plug it back into the charger. Does it have to be the computer charger? Or a wall or car charger will work as well?

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm not sure what classifies it as untethered but I know that nothing will happen if it shuts down. As far as I know, most jailbreaks, tethered and untethered, have to be done on a computer. I know jailbreakme.com could be done directly on the device.

You can charge it with whatever you want. It won't make a difference.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Any charger is fine.

Tethered jailbreaks force you to use the jailbreak app while booting so that it goes back into jailbreak mode.

With Absinthe (the jailbreak you used) you don't have to ever do that. Just charge it the way you normally would.