Power On Lights

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Freis968, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Anyone have any cosmetically friendly ways of dimming the lights on these items without taking a magic marker to them and without turning off the power supply?

These items are in my bedroom and I prefer "pitch blackness" so I can sleep and these three items put out enough light to make a rooster sound off!!!

Attached Files:

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I hid my Airport Express in the corner of my room at uni so the green light wasn't beaming at me...

3. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

4. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

My external HD has an obnoxiously bright blue LED that shines out of the front of it. I took it apart and put some duct tape on the inside of where the light shines out. That would likely be impractical for your printer, but maybe for the time capsule and router...

5. MTI macrumors 65816

Is there a need for the printer to be "on" at all times?

An old tech solution would be to place a timer on the power strip that supplies those devices, either the old table lamp ones, or perhaps a programmable X10 style controller.

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

You could look at this problem one of two ways:

1. Reduce the amount of light being emitted. This, in the very least, will involve a pair of wire clippers and either a rheostat or a potentiometer, soldering iron etc, depending on how things are wired. This will void your warranty but there's more geek cred here.

2. Reduce the amount of light that passes through the plastic bit before it exits the machine. You can do this one of a couple ways. Go buy some semi-opaque plastic folders. Kinda like this. But smokey black and flexible. Cut, scotch tape to the inside of the case, done. Or you could go buy some semi opaque lacquer for figurines at your local gaming joint, paint inside of case where the light shines through. Or just give the LED a thin layer.

7. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

The printer turns itself off but that darn light remains on. I have everything plugged into a power strip, but I did not want to have to pull the dresser out each morning to turn it on and each night to turn it off.

I knew I would get atleast one smart ass answer...:p

I think you offered some great advice there, thank you!

8. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I think he was being serious. I usually use this method.

The one thing in my room that really bothers me is my Pink Floyd "Pulse" album with the flashing red light on the front. I had to put some crap in front of it so I wouldn't see it at night.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

go to sleep facing away from the lights. Problem solved.

10. 6six6 macrumors newbie

11. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

My preferred method is to stick them inside cabinets or closets where possible. Has the secondary advantage of clearing up surface space. But... I hear you about how annoying these things can are.

12. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Well, a little bit. If the problem is that the light stays on, just block it out. Whether he puts the tape on the outside (tacky) or inside (geeky) is up to him.

13. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I got a case of electric tape some time ago. It came in all sorts of colors (blue, red, black, green, yellow, white, grey, gold, and orange). I just pick the closest matching color and put a piece over the light source. I have some on my scanner, printer, speakers for my Mac, speakers for my TV, my TV, PS3, two external HDs, wireless router, modem, and my phone chargers.

It works well and is cheap.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For my speakers and other things that stay on and don't tell me anything important I stick over tiny pieces of black duct tape.

For monitor lights I use a small piece of white paper and put a tiny piece of transparent sticky tape over it. I can still see the LED but it's much dimmer than before.

15. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

16. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

You can get remote control power strips now. You wouldn't need to pull the dresser out every morning, you'd just be able to hit the power button on your remote and it would give power back.

Though it would depend on whether the remote would work if your socket is behind the dresser.

17. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Thanks everybody for the ideas, I appreciate your time.

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

pfft, that's the best advice in the whole thread.

duct tape + wd-40 fixes everything. :D

19. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

That doggone light is still flashing? My brother bought that album and after a few years the light went out...also saw some in the used CD shop and notice they finally went out...incredible yours is still flashing.

20. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

21. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

22. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I only have the one device (my MacBook) so I put it under the bed or in a box. Duct tape is a good idea though.

23. djellison macrumors 68020

So it was flashing and annoying you and you had to cover it up to make it not annoy you.. .then when it stopped flashing because the batteries died - you replaced the batteries.

Umm...

err..

Ok.

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

I don't think I've ever seen a thread revived twice. By the OP. Just responding to things people posted months before. Interesting.