power-on password?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marvin*1*2, Aug 7, 2007.

1. marvin*1*2 macrumors member

marvin*1*2

so I copied the 'Firmware Password Utility' off dvd1 to set that password...I restarted and nothing's changed... I must've missunderstood, I thought that would give me a power-on password but it seems to merely protect my notebook against reinstalling / resetting....correct?
    and does it only ask for authentication when using dvds other than my own that came with the mac?

if so, is there no way to have a simple power-on password like all bios-sw on non-macs have?
    wouldn't it be nice to then enable auto-login so that you have only one fairly secure password at the very beginning of the boot sequence?

2. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

System preferences>accounts then click on your account name then 'login options'(check that the lock is off) in the bottom and untick ''Automatically log in as''
    hope it will work.

i switched to macs before a week,so i hope im right about this XD

3. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

No, it doesn't block startup.

It blocks the following:

• Completely blocks* cmd-S (single user mode)
    • Completely blocks* cmd-V (verbose mode)
    • Completely blocks* "C", "N", "T", "D"
    • Completely blocks* command-option-P-R (to reset PRAM)
    • Prompts for password when using option to switch between bootable partitions/disks
    • Prompts for password to command-option-o-f (to boot to Open Firmware; PowerPC Macintoshes only) issue Open Firmware commands.
    *"Completely blocks" meaning that these keys are disabled and cannot be used at all.

I definitely wouldn't rely on an Open Firmware or BIOS password as my form of security for an entire tome of reasons.

EDIT: Correction on the last bulleted point.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Here is a list of what Firmware password protection does, take from apple's kb

5. marvin*1*2 thread starter macrumors member

marvin*1*2

thanks guys for those detailed answers.

hm, but does the fact that there is no mention of power-on password really mean that there is no such thing in the mac world?

how odd! why not?
    it would be nice to have a power-on password in the VERY beginning, wouldn't it? i.e. press power button, 2secs later type in password and some min later start working, no more wait - type pw - wait again...

way more efficient, secure and simple.
    of course, nothing's bulletproof, any bios-pw can be reset with a bios-update or something similar (or by opening the case in the worst case) but as I'd auto-login into my non-admin user, I don't see how I would reduce security with this...