power on/restart/shutdown mac using iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Aravintht, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Anyone know of an app or way i can power on/restart or shutdown my mac(s).

scenario: have mac mini in the front room, use it just for watching US tv shows and sometimes mail. As it is only used once or twice a week for a couple of hours, we keep it powered off. The only issue is the mac is slightly hidden, the power button is on the back and we're lazy. it would amazing if i could switch it on using my iphone - switching it off is easy enough to do as we have a wireless kb/mouse.

scenario 2: mac pro in my bedroom, sometimes listen to music while reading in bed. The mac pro doesnt have IR so i use the remote control apps to switch applications/control music. Currently i have an apple script to shut down the mac, similar to the sleep ipod function found on the iphone. It would be great if i could shutdown the mac using my iphone - again just for convenience. As the mac is already on, a way of triggering an apple script could also work. I know i could email myself and then when apple mail gets the email a script could run, but im looking for a more elegant solution.

thanks in advance!

2. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

You should be able to use ssh to login to your mac and shut it down via terminal. I dont know how to go about doing this because i dont have an iPhone, but it should be possible.

3. Aravintht thread starter macrumors 6502a

im trying not to jailbreak as the exchange server at university somehow can tell we're jailbroken and stops us from connecting to it.

4. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Arent there any ssh apps in the app store or is that one of the random things apple doesnt want users to do?
    The only other way i can think to communicate with the computer is to use email or IM and use an applescript like you were before. Ugly, messy, but it works.

5. mmihalec macrumors newbie