Power Outage Notifications with UPS

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by kittonian, May 21, 2015.

1. kittonian macrumors member

I have a Cyberpower P1500LCD that works really well with my Mac Pro and various other equipment in my office. I have it plugged into my Mac via USB and Yosemite recognizes it via Energy Saver.

What I would like to do is have a notification sent to my iOS device (or anywhere notifications are sent for that matter) when the power goes out and the UPS kicks on.

There doesn't seem to be a built-in way to do this in OS X and I tried speaking with Cyberpower and they said there's nothing I can do.

That being said, of course there are things that can be done using the USB HID API but I was really hoping to find something that was already written instead of starting from scratch trying to write a new application.

I don't need any other functionality and I'm pretty sure this would be a very popular thing to have for people all over the world. It should just be a matter of triggering the notification when OS X sees that the UPS has kicked on.

How do I do this? Anything out there already made or perhaps someone could post the code to make this happen?

2. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

Here's a starting point..

man 8 upsshutdown

^^

You of course need to get a command line mailer to work for this.