Power Outlet Solutions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paulsdenton, Aug 2, 2014.

1. paulsdenton macrumors 6502

paulsdenton

I just counted and I have 37 power plugs either in the two UPSs or in a whole bunch of power strips just for my two computers and all the various peripherals and storage devices. Not only is the current setup a mess and most unsightly but all the wires get in the way. I actually need all the devices, so winnowing them out is not a solution.

What do other people do with a large number of power plugs? There has to be a better way.

I was thinking of having an electrician run a new line from the service entrance and build a big cabinet with 20 or so two plug outlets in it. Seems extreme but all these power strips, some of them daisy-chained, does not seem like a good or safe solution. Most of the stuff has very low wattage and not everything is used at once, obviously.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I installed a bunch of wall outlets with built in USB chargers. All our idevices use lightning connectors so I don't have to worry about what cable is where. For wall warts I use octopus type extensions so none of the outlets get covered up. Finally, anything that can be put elsewhere is. Our shared printer and NAS are kept elsewhere.