Power PC Apps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iGTi, Oct 11, 2012.

1. iGTi, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

iGTi macrumors newbie

So I purchased a MacBook Pro in late 2011 and it came w/ Lion current version 10.7.5.
    Im finding out some apps I use to use are power pc rooted... thats no bueno with Lion. I did some research and it seems like you can partition your drive and run Snow Leopard. I was in the process of doing this and notice when I Booted my Macbook with Snow Leopard install disc my Macbook would just beep and display the Apple logo screen that it usually starts up with.
    I called Apple Support and the tech mention Apple strongly discourages partitioning your drive with a lower grade version then the one built for it. Something about it could damage the computer... anyone know if thats the case or have a better solution for my dilemma.

Thanks in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

PowerPC applications need Rosetta, which has been abandoned in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
    You are correct in thinking, that you need Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for PPC applications to run, and fortunately a late 2011 MBP can still run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, but you need to do it another way than using a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD:

[SUCCESS!]Late 2011 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard

Just for some more info, 2012 Macs will not be able to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, due to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard not having drivers for that hardware, luckily 2011 Macs (except the 2011 MacBook Air) can still run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard despite many coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:
    [​IMG]

As for partitioning, it should work and not harm your Mac. Use Disk Utility to create a second partition and then the above method to get Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto that new partition.

3. iGTi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the heads up... yea i have to admit I was to lazy to search... that being said why does beep and stay on the start splash screen when I start up leopard with the option button makes no sense... I only left for maybe 30 secs. but I would think it wouldnt stay that long

4. simsaladimbamba

The DVD you use has no drivers for the hardware, thus it will not work and acts like it does.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The Snow Leopard DVD will be 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 which doesn't support your hardware. Support was added with 10.6.7 onwards which was only available as a grey restore DVD included with a Mac.

Three options :
    1) Obtain the correct grey restore DVD for your system
    2) Use a hard drive with 10.6.8 already installed
    3) Install from DVD using via Target Disk Mode from an earlier supported Mac then update to 10.6.8.

Use the search function for further details - it's been discussed before.