Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trixabelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Hi all,

Just bought an old Powerbook PC (dome shaped base) and while everything else works fine the cd/dvd struggles to open certain cds and dvds. It will open a disc I put in yesterday containing drivers for a wireless card but it won't open any of its own imac installation software. After repeated efforts it did run its harwarde diagnostic disc which told me there was nothing wrong with the computer. It also sometimes and sometimes won't load audio discs.

I've done all the usual things like checked system preferences and wiped each disc clean. I've even bought a lens cleaning disc but that's not accepted either.

System is running 10.4 tiger and is version Power Pc G4 (2.1)

Memory 768mb / 800mhz

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful - about to throw the thing through the window at the minute!

Many, many thanks,

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Sounds like the drive is on its way out. Surprisingly, they're easy to replace, so ur in luck! Google " iMac g4 cd drive replacement."

trixabelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2011
thanks so much for your comments and advice - fear you may be right, but the guide you've suggested doesn't look to complex!!!

Thanks again - :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.