Power PC

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by sallylynn812, Sep 15, 2011.

1. sallylynn812 macrumors member

Ok, I'm not really sure what Power PC is, but I wanted to download an emulator and when I try to run it it tells me that PowerPC is no longer supported.

Is there a way around this?

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No....

All newer (starting in 2006) Macs use Intel-based processors. Lion does not support Rosetta which is needed to run apps compiled to run on PowerPC processors.

S-

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PowerPC is the older CPU type that Macs used from about 1994 to 2006. It has been replaced by Intell CPUs. Programs have to be compiled or written for a certain CPU type. Older programs that where written for PowerPC (PPC) CPUs worked on Intell CPUs on Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard by use of a program called Rosetta that translated the PPC language to Intell language as it was needed. With the release of Lion, Apple has removed the Rosetta program. With the loss of the Rosetta program, PPC apps can no longer run on Lion. Getting PPC apps to work on Lion is not possible, because it is not possible to get the Rosetta program working on it. The only solution is to run the program on Snow Leopard Server or Leopard Server within a virtual machine, like VM Ware's Fusion or Parallels.

4. sallylynn812 thread starter macrumors member

Well that's too bad...

At lease I found a different emulator that works...

5. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Can you clarify your last statement? Does that emulator work in Lion itself? Which emulator is it? Sheepshaver?