Power Plug requirement question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Clint1583, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Clint1583 macrumors regular

Quick question, just purchased a new Apple Watch 2 in Florence Italy the other day and of course it comes with a European plug and not the typical power US plug. Apple rep in Italy said that the US stores would just swap out the power cord for no charge. The European version of course has the same USB plug/cable.

I was thinking I'd just keep the European plug for future Europe vacations and just charging my new watch with an iPhone plug or just a straight USB plug into my computer. Is there any reason why this isn't recommended? Does the US Apple Watch power plug just charge at a quicker rate or does it not matter which plug I use?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

chargers should all be identical just with different plugs on the head.

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Doesn't matter. If you had the American adapter already, you could get a cheap socket adapter (no voltage convertor needed) to fit into Euro sockets.

Is yours nearly the same as the small cube-shaped American adapter except with Euro prongs? That'd be pretty handy. Yeah, keep it for your Euro travels and charge your AW off another source.

4. Clint1583 thread starter macrumors regular

No, it's not the typical square cube type like here. Still pretty compact though. If all the US power heads are the same why is it the iPhone has the small cube type and the watch has the larger square plug? I assume each are a different wattage?

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

The charger I got with my watch is the little cube. Maybe Apple doesn't make little chargers with Euro/Asian prongs.

The watch doesn't need much wattage. The iPad Pro (and MacBook, now that I think of it) use the most and can benefit from the larger USB charger.

Ah -- got a pic of yours?

6. dyn macrumors 68030

The European charger is the same for the watch, iPod and iPhone and outputs 5V/1A (which makes it a 5W charger). This isn't enough for the iPad which has a 10W charger (5V/2A) which is a physically bigger charger as well. It's similar in shape as the MacBook charger is, just a tad smaller. Since it uses a duckhead I can use my extension cord of the MacBook Air with it :) When you use the iPad charger with the iPhone 6 or higher it'll charge faster. Dunno if that also applies to the watch.