power point reader for iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by y0m0uth, Apr 29, 2009.

1. y0m0uth macrumors regular

sorry if this is the wrong section but is there one?

2. zookster macrumors member

Try emailing the presentation to yourself, then read the email on your iPhone.

3. y0m0uth thread starter macrumors regular

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Emailing it to yourself will work. I did it with a 14 page PPT that I created today. It amazed everyone. Great little preview.

5. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Ha-Ha

I did that too. People are just amazed that I have all my notes on such a little device.

Maybe they should have a Preview.app as part of the iPhone/iPod Touch. eBooks, PDFs, .ppt. would all be nice. Compile that with folder syncing in OSX and we have a winner!

6. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Sometimes the way it looks on the iPhone is not exactly how it is formatted in the actual PPT. For example, I had words spelled vertically on the PPT. On the iPhone they were horizontal. It ended up running over other text.

If I know I am going to use it to show someone something I will save it as a PDF and email it to myself. Then the formatting will be right.

7. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Animations will not work on the iPhone as well, PPT wise.

If you are emailing multiple PPT slides to yourself, suggest that you do no more than 2 or 3 PPT files per email. There is a tendency for it to hang if the email is too "weighty", in my experience.

8. JCastro macrumors 6502a

That is true about the animations. But it is a good preview non the less. Especially if you don't want to have to open your laptop to review before a presentation. I have also noticed mine hang up a little too. but usually with a large PPT presentation. Again, it displays better and flows better in a PDF format to me on the iPhone.

9. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I generally save the PowerPoint as a pdf and send that to the device. Viewing has been reliable that way for me.

10. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Hmm..I wonder if you can save the PDF file into your "photos", so that negates the need to crawl through your email looking for it. I think its niftier that way - silly me never thought of that before.

11. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can save a pdf to your photos, but I use File Magic or MobileFiles (no longer available, I think, and if so, good only for MobileMe users) to get the files on the device and to view them. AirSharing should work too, I expect.

As I meant to say and may have implied in my last post, saving as a pdf preserves the original formatting reliably.

12. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

13. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

DataViz is currently in the process of developing Documents To Go for the iPhone and iPod Touch. It should be out by the end of this summer, I believe.

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

According to DataViz's latest update, DTG should be out in the first half of May. Have you heard differently?